STO: Craptacular Launch + Update Notes

Playing a game that doesn't have a forum all it's own? Chib about it here!
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

STO: Craptacular Launch + Update Notes

Postby Marcallo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:00 pm

So I've had little time to play this weekend due to work and family obligations and it seems EVERY time I go to play the server is down, or lagging, or not responding, or there's a queue of 1,000 people. One of two things, either they have a zillion more subscribers than they expected or they are running the server with Tribbles on a treadmill.

That being said, once they work the kinks out, if people give them that chance they have some ambitious goals for the next few months. Here's a cut and paste, + a link

http://www.startrekonline.com/upcoming_content

WHAT'S NEXT

Just because we're about to launch Star Trek Online doesn't mean we don't have some great updates ready for you in the coming weeks. From endgame raid Episodes, to more PvP maps, to more Klingon content, no matter what you love about STO we've got something you'll love even more. Here's a taste what we have planned over the next two months. And just in case you were wondering, everything listed here is free!
The Hive Mind Is Everywhere

The Borg are invading! Just in time for many of you to reach the rank of Admiral, we've got three new high-level Episodes centered around the classic Alpha Quadrant menace, the Borg. Here's what you can expect:

* Collateral Damage - Help save civilians caught in a battle between the Borg and Undine.
* Recovery - In this follow-up to Collateral Damage, Rescue colonists infected by the Borg virus and fight Undine determined to destroy them!
* State of Q - Q transports you back in time to do him a special favor.
* More to come!

In addition to our compelling scripted content, you'll be able to check out a brand new, Borg-themed Deep Space Encounter. Can you and your friends hold off the coming invasion? It won't be long until you're called upon by Starfleet to save the galaxy!

Don't forget to check out the new exploration content included in the Borg content pack, too. When you find some respite from the Collective, seek out new life and civilizations at your own pace. The universe is just waiting to be discovered.
Raid Episodes Coming Your Way

If you're looking for a challenge, look no further than our upcoming Raid Episodes, which combine bold storytelling with our toughest five-man missions yet. These are just a few of the Raid Episodes we'll be rolling out over the coming weeks, beginning a week after launch. Raid Episodes are available to both Federation and Klingon players.

* Infected - Investigate a federation station that Starfleet has lost contact with.
* The Cure - A planet has been completely taken over by the Borg. Fight them for control of the planet.
* Khitomer Accord - Travel back in time and uncover and participate in the events that led to the release of old Borg you encountered in the Tutorial Episode.
* Into the Hive - Track down a missing Starfleet captain and come face to face with the new Borg Queen.

More Action in the Alpha Quadrant

We've got even more great additions planned for Star Trek Online. Here's just a bit of what's coming:

* Klingon Fleet Actions - Form up with your closest friends and do battle in large engagements.
* A New Klingon Ship - You asked for it, we made it: A Tier 2 Klingon Battle Cruiser.
* Klingon Star Clusters - Seek out new life and civilizations ... and subjugate them! Additional PvE content for the Klingon faction.
* Federation vs. Federation PvP - Practice against your allies before engaging your enemies.
* New Ground Maps - We'll be adding a new Ground Assault PvP map, as well as a new ground Fleet Action.
* More IP Locations - Check out Rura Penthe and our whole solar system, from Mercury to Pluto.

Engage!

These updates are entirely free to Star Trek Online subscribers. To begin your Star Trek Online adventure today, visit our retail page to purchase your copy. And check out our exclusive specials page to see what great deals we're offering on subscription packages.

We'll see you February 2, 2010!
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: STO: Craptacular Launch + Update Notes

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:48 pm

So are their "raids" actually just five man groups, or is "raid episodes" something different? Did they launch with any raids?
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Actual launch is tomorrow the 2nd. This is when it's supposed to be released in stores and when their C-Store opens up. Jan 29 til today is for people who preordered to get a headstart. Given that headstart is like a soft opening, it looks pretty bad that they can't even maintain the server up for long periods of time as each day I logged in they would announce some shutdown for 2 hours or it would crash with no warning. I can't imagine how bad it will be tomorrow. They had better bring up more shards today in prep for tomorrow's surge bcause supposedly STO sold really fast. I don't know how much more I can take of people asking where the fuck Sulu is.

I've not seen any raids yet as I've just been doing regular missions that sometimes require grouping, sometimes grouped for no reason at all. It's kinda like a mix of solo missions and grouping where some solo missions turn into chains that at some point turn into a public quest with auto grouping. They still need to fix some of these quests because while they auto group you in space to take down large fleets, they will also auto group you when all you are doing is beaming down to scanning something on the planet. For that auto teaming example, I took the time to pick my best healer NPC and the other guy took his time to complement with his best tactical guy. We all expected it to be a ground fight when there was none. Maybe they just need to change the flag for that part from PQ to solo.

The largest fleet action I've seen so far is like a PQ. That one involved an attack on Starbase 24 by Klingon warships. The feds had to fight through groups of K squads and the entire thing tallied who contributed the most. It awards big items to small according to how well you do. Once the skies are clear, a reset timer appears and you can repeat this first part or continue to the next. If you move on, you beam onto the damaged starbase to clean out the klingons and rescue the survivors (this part is solo). You beam back to your ship and a small number of K reinforcements appear...but you are not actually in the same space as you entered. You are in a different instance of Starbase 24, an exit version, for those who left the starbase at the same time so that you won't beam out into a new spawn in the first part.

I took part in a PVP type instance. You can queue up at different star systems and instead of going into the system, a menu pops up to let you choose what type of game you want to play. I tried a resource defense map and was thoroughly confused because everyone was flying off and I didn't read the instructions lol. Anyway, it seems like we were supposed to beam security teams from our base onto neutral mining stations and then once it turned Fed, you could beam the resources onto your ship. I think you are supposed to make it back to the base. But everyone was busy hunting and when I tried to do what I thought I was supposed to do, I was totally alone and got blown up. So the rest of the time, I was out hunting cloak Bird of Preys because hell.. if no one is going to protect me, I can't do the mission objectives properly. Regardless of the lack of cooperation, it was still fun to have to hunt for cloaked BoPs. Next time I'll join one that is pure deathmatch until we can get a real fleet together. Some missions can be joined by enemy factions too as one PQs I was in was crashed by a group of K players who tried to catch us off guard while we were busy with NPCs. I'm not sure how that works yet though but it seems to be only certain PQ missions that allow this.

All in all, I like the game enough even with some glaring bugs to buy lifetime. I'm taking the long term outlook here because I know I will be in and out of the universe and I don't have to worry about losing sub money to downtime and I don't have to worry about not being able to see the game in a more finished state as they add things in later on.

If you are on the fence on this game, I'd suggest waiting until they get things implemented and stable. If you can't wait to see it but are still unsure, I can give you a 10 day trial once my collectors-ed arrives (I only have 3 max though).

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE... Gamestop sucks. At least their digital download partner sucks (Trymedia). I'd avoid gamestop's digtal store at all costs until they stop using Trymedia as their partner.

BBB gives them an F rating in the san fran area. Pre-order folks are upset about buying from gamestop and thinking they got their preorder bonuses in when they received this email...

Dear XXXXXX,

Your Pre-order ID XXXX placed on 2010-01-29 09:48:21 is now shipping. However, we could not process your order.

Your order been cancelled, you have not been charged for the product, and nothing will be shipped to you.

If you would like to shop for other great downloadable games, please return to the GameStop Digital Download Shop: http://www.gamestop.com/downloadnow

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR PRE-ORDER RECEIPT *** You will not be charged for this product***

So is it shipping or is it canceled? Posters understood this as NOT shipping. But they didn't understand that they still haven't gotten refunds even though they actually did charge them in full on their CCs. And there is no CS number, or other way to contact them about it. Screwed screwed screwed. Here comes a class action lawsuit.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:18 pm

It was through gamestop's digital downloads that I bought Civilization 4 a few years back. Not sure if it was the same partner, but I wouldn't be surprised. I got my Civ 4, then bought the newly released Warlords expansion...only to find out that the digital download version of Civ 4 could not support addon packs for whatever reason (like the xpac couldn't verify the installed content due to the custom downloader/installer or some shit).

They did, thankfully, reimburse me since I complained just a few days after buying. Then I promptly pirated both. I *tried* going straight, but The Man wouldn't let me!
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

I would only do a Digital download from Steam or Direct2Drive. Anything else is questionable.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Return to “Flavor of the Month”