*Cough*

Discuss the Star Wars MMORPG.
Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

*Cough*

Postby Firebrand » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Someone should dust in here!
"War makes thieves, and peace hangs them." -Niccolo Machiavelli, from the "Art of War"

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:59 pm

You are a stupid fool. A fool of a fool.

I <3 you with a mighty pen is.
Space for Rent

Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Firebrand » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:24 pm

A fool with a lightsaber!
"War makes thieves, and peace hangs them." -Niccolo Machiavelli, from the "Art of War"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 am

Is this game still in existance?
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:26 am

Firebrand wrote:Someone should dust in here!

I C WUT U DID THAR
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Firebrand » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 am

Indeed it is, and I'm playing it. They have a two week trial going and since it's been 4 years since I've played it, the game is completely different so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:31 am

And? How is it now?

Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Firebrand » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:07 pm

It's definitely much improved over it's original incarnation, imo. They changed it to a more traditional style MMO, a la WoW, so it's nothing you haven't seen before except maybe the combat system. The combat system is different. It's sort of a hybrid of role-playing combat with turns and fps twitch. You have a targeting reticule so you have to be looking at what you want to shoot/hit, but it's not strictly first person shooter style either. It's simplistic but it works well enough. Space combat is pretty fun too. There's a ton of ships and parts to pick from and combat is fast paced and action oriented.

The only reason I started playing is I've been on a Star Wars thing recently and I was getting sick of single player games. And I pretty much shudder at the thought of playing WoW ever again. Plus I've always been fascinated with the idea of Jedi, and with the changes they made, you can play as one from the outset. Wow isn't/wasn't a bad game or anything but I'm just so absolutely not interested in it at all anymore, and plus I'm so amazingly sick of swords and sorcery. Setting for me is key, and too many games revolve around the exact same setting, swords, magic elves and orcs. When you think about it, SWG isn't any different gameplay wise. There's swords, there's the Force, there's weirdo races, it's just different. And that's pretty much the key, it's not WoW. The only way someone would get into this game is if they are dying for a new setting. I'm not even sure how much of an end game there is. I can't imagine it has an amazing amount of end game content, probably less than what one can do at the end game in WoW. But it's fun for now at least, i'll probably continue playing past my free trial.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:17 am

THERE IS DEMAND!
Bye space sword!

Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Firebrand » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Some demand. The populations aren't anything to brag about, but aren't pathetic either. There are far too many frigging humans and not nearly enough wookiees. They are planning on removing all of the abandoned buildings in the game, by way of packing them up and placing them in their owners' inventories. I assumed they did that already, but anyway that will probably seriously reduce the amount of player cities that are on servers. I see a whole lot of abandoned buildings, but at least that would consolidate the number of player who actually play instead of everything be all spread out like it is now. Would also give a more revealing look at the number of active players per server, it seems the actual server population figures are a closely guarded secret at SOE :p

Screwtape
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Sexy Pahties!

Postby Screwtape » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:45 pm

According to http://www.mmogchart.com/

About 190k accounts as of July 06. If we take into consideration the 90k dip it did from 05 to 06 then ballpark around 100k subscribers. If the info on the site is accurate, of course.
I will enthrall you with my Puerto Rican voodoo love charms.

Firebrand
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Firebrand » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah that's about the numbers I've heard. I was more interested in server distribution figures myself. I haven't found a website that has as detailed information as one can find for the population figures for WoW's servers. But then again since Blizzard has 10 bazillion subscribers, they probably wouldn't mind everyone knowing how many people play.

Return to “Star Wars: Galaxies”