Smuggler
MotG

"Abuse" the copy machine. There's an image

pixleyes
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: CoH revivalist

Postby pixleyes » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:00 pm

This sounds like nothing but good news for Die Hard SW fans. The SW universe in SWG has bit by bit diverted from the true form and vision of Lucas.

I realize that many players want to be Jedi, and competition from such games as KOTOR may be real, but still... SWG claims to take place between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. At that time, it was quite clear that Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi. Also, Yoda refers to Leia as the Jedi's Last Hope. So, at the time of SWG, the only Jedi are Luke and Yoda with Leia waiting in the wings (aka glowy) and THAT's IT. On the side of the Sith, there is Vader and Sidious (or Ankin and Palpatine). SWG's presence of player Jedi takes all that and tosses it out the airlock.

I also realize that the whole idea that Lucas will remove Jedi as a profession is pure speculation, however, it seems like something he would do, which as I stated, would be a good thing.
Talmer Deadglow - Ultima Online/inactive
Blix Nado - Star Wars Galaxies/active
Leeluu - City of Heroes-Guardian/inactive
Doc Neutronic - City of Heroes-Freedom/active
P'aagra - Lineage II/inactive
Connery - WoW-Ner'Zuhl/inactive
Scarr - WoW-Bonechewer/inactive
OPFOR - BF1942(FH)/active
Skip - My Dull and Boring Life/inactive

pen
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: [insert witty title here]

Postby pen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:05 am

if all this is truly going to happen, it would only help the game. this whole village crap and even just running into force sensitive npcs anywhere but dathomir is just stupid and should be removed.
Pen Expers

Master Pistoleer

TKM

Smuggler

MotG

pixleyes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby pixleyes » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:35 pm

since this is turning into a "how could SWG be better" topic, I'll run with it for a moment...

1) Make the "Destructive Conflict" as Vader put it, the MAIN focus of the game.

2) Dump the Jedi pursuit all together.

3) We are not the top billing heroes in the Star Wars saga. That would be (at the point I will refer to as episode 4.5) Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and thats it. These are the main characters at this point. No Yoda, no Lando Calrissian, and certainly non of the heroes from eps 1, 2, and presumably 3, unless already noted above. These heroes are supported by a cast of millions... aka, US. We, the player base, should fill the role of the cast of a million (ok 500,000) supporting players who make the galactic wheels turn round. We are the fighter jocks, the bounty hunters, the smugglers, the criminals, the foot soldiers and the artisans and farmers that make fighting a galactic civil war a possibility. We are the little pieces the Emperor moves around in his head as he makes all his plans to dominate the universe come to fruition.

4) Make droids, personal equipment (guns) and faction pets (soldiers) the focus of ground combat, NOT creatures.

5) Make the ATST a PC-manned vehicle, not an AI pet.

6) Add atmospheric flight to the game... and don't tell me the engine won't support it.. rewrite the fraggin engine lazy programmers...

7) create new vehicles which are meant to be used IN COMBAT!!!

8) Make the "Destructive Conflict" as Vader put it, the MAIN focus of the game. ok that's a repeat but worth repeating. In other words, The Galactic Civil War. Fix Battlefields. Create Objectives, make the empire and rebellion fight for something they can realise as a victory, and eventually, as the story of the Main Heroes unfolds, release new worlds and equipment and CONTENT to mirror the events of the movies. And by the way, this should occur in no more time than the release of the movies. 2-3 years is enough time to develop a ground breaking upgrade, aka SWG2.0: The Empire Strikes Back.

The game should be designed with fighting classes duking it out... check that - Blasting it out with blasters and laser guns (not VK's) for every inch of galactic dust, asserting control between the warring factions. Cities and even planets should become objectives to win, hold and control in the name of ORDER or FREEDOM, depending on your affiliation.

Crafters should be concenrating on supporting the war effort with supplies which must be provided to the troops via fragile supply lines, be they legitimate merchant liners or dubious smugglers.

And in the middle should be the criminal element and the bounty hunter, for whom war is always a winning proposition, and profit is always the end result.

What SWG should not be is a Fantasy MMORPG in SPAAAAACE! Not all Fantasy-based online game character classes translate well in the Space Opera environment.

Namely...(prepare for flame reprisal) Creature Handlers. There are several good examples of what fighting a ground war is like in the movies. The Battle of Hoth and the Battle of Geonosis. In BOTH cases the armies were composed of Infantry, Armor and Air Assault. What is lacking here are countless HERDS OF CRITTERS fighting the battle. Animals are used as an amusement for their owners, not as troops in a ground war.

Also another unsuitable class is the brawler. Although perhaps common place on worlds where local legal restrictions prohibit blasters and firearms or droids for that matter, usually, in large scale ground combat soldiers fight with weapons that SHOOT. This is not the middle ages. Battles are fought at great distances sometimes beyond the range of human sight. But the real ground war requires soldiers with guns who shoot until there is nothing left to shoot at. The concept that futuristic battles are fought using hand to hand weaponry is rediculous. OK, maybe, if you have run out of ammo and are making a last stand effort to the death then fine, but personally, I'd nuke em from orbit...

Finally, the whole concept of combat must be reworked to better reflect that of the movies. One major theme I witnessed in the movies was that people can't aim for shit. There was always a lot of shooting but not that much hitting. If they do score a hit, however, they kill! (Except for Main Characters like Leia who can take an E-11 direct hit to the shoulder and only be incapped for a few seconds, then turn around a blast two troopers with a fraggin CDEF pistol and drop em both almost simultaneously. As I see it, gaining skill in a weapon means improving accuracy, but weapon's fire is almost always lethal. You could say that as you gain in proficiency, you not only improve accuracy, but also defence against being hit. Dodging, parrying and other methids which basically debuff your opponent's chance to hit you. But as stated, if you are hit, thats it, INCAP. Using the Leia example above, it goes like this:
Storm Trooper fires a sneak attack at Leia.
Leia, being surprised, fails to add any of here Master Level defences and makes no modification the the ST's attack.
Storm Trooper hits! (Hurrah for him, being a mid level combat guy at best)
Leia, due to her Master Level defence rating, is only incapped and not killed right out. A few seconds later she is no longer incapped.
Now, using her boyfriend as 'cover', fires her own surprise shot. Using her Master Level attack rating she actually is able to launch a cone attack at the pair of approaching ST's. This is done at a penalty to hit, but Leia's a good shot, and feels its worth it. Note how she was able to fire a combination SURPRISE SHOT and a CONE ATTACK. That's not an issue, however each special maneuver deducts from the overall chance to hit, which is miserable to begin with.
The ST's armor, rather than absorbing damage, actually apply a modifier to being hit but it is not enough in this case to cause a miss. The pair of ST's are caught surprised and can not dodge or apply any defences and are HIT.
Lacking any Master Level defences, the two ST's take h eternal dirt nap and all is right in the universe, now let's see if Han can pick this lock...

thats just a scenario, but generally the idea.

/EndRant

comments?

pen
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Custom Rank: [insert witty title here]

Postby pen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:34 pm

yea, it looks like they wrote back saying it wasnt true, but then thats SOE saying it so who really knows yet. i'm interested to hear about the new expansion (we all knew there'd be more than one) it'll probably be ground vehicle combat, making the atst what we all think it should be. i agree with the weapon thing too, i think its absolutely rediculous that i can shoot someone in the face and hit for a max of about 3000 (and thats absolute max with my best pistol) and then equip a VK and punch em in the face for 6000. that just never made sense to me. but hey, they posted a new page full of the new emotes, which are kind of funny, but... how useful in the end?
Pen Expers

Master Pistoleer

TKM

Smuggler

MotG

oldmanpanda
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby oldmanpanda » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:21 pm

if i was an ewok i would be dancing around burning the stormtrooper masks of SOE.
pardon me for intruding...
but as you were saying, blasters rarely hit...but isn't that where the brawlers and what not come in? How often does a dude with a sword miss, not too damn often, i'd say, unless someone with another melee weapon could parry...

Though, all i really want is some craaazy PVP. Lots of it, i mean...LOTS.
It's star wars, it's an anarchy. I say we give the annoying little tweens their day and let em rape and pillage the countryside until the Bounty Hunters and the Storm Troopers caught up with em.
Star Wars is an ANARCHY. I think it should be the responsibility of every civillian to defend his personal property for fear of raiding.
If you have your house next to the freakin Fort Tusken, it's probably going to get raided, and your uncle is going to be beaten and burned to a bloody mess.
I told myself i wouldn't say what would improve the game, but look at me now...
Maybe...have destructable cities?
Benefits of living in a city = Good Protection against roaming bands of player thugs.
Bad Aspects of living in a city = That city is on the map and is probably going to get burned to the ground eventually.

Just my two cents...

pixleyes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby pixleyes » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:24 pm

Anarchy? You really think so?? I never got that impression from the movies, in fact it was the lack of anarchy, ie, totalitarian oppression which caused the rebellion.

Kotopex
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Kotopex » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:10 am

What is this cool game you're referring to oh wise squid..and can I play? Blix, get some info on the phase 3(?) quest....the one where you need to be grouped and do two seperate parts at the same time. Lets see if we can get that done.
Kotopex
Jedi scrub

pixleyes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby pixleyes » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:38 am

ok i'll be on tonight