Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

So long SWG!

Postby Kiawah » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:42 pm

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: So long SWG!

Postby PopnFresh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's sad. We still have people here that worked on Galaxies for its launch, and in fact a number of Bioware Austin employees came from the Galaxies' team in SOE Austin, including the studio head (who I got to hear give a very stern "What they did to the players of that game just wasn't right!" rant over a business dinner with him once), so the process leading up to this has been with a heavy heart. And it has been in the works for months, technically even years if you consider that for most of the first half of 2010 it looked like *that* would be the finale year.

It's a really bizarre move, honestly. Some will probably wonder why it was still around, but I can answer that: because it's pure fucking profit with thousands of active subscribers and a trading card game that still manages a couple thousand dollars per day. Last I knew, they had triple the number of subs necessary to keep the game running with a small dev team and stay profitable. So why not?!

And I should specify that part of why it feels so weird to me is because the decision is coming from the pres of SOE. As ridiculous as it sounds, at least I could find some logic in LA asking for the closure so as not to "compete" with TOR (lol), but that's not the case. I don't know how that branch of Sony is still in business. I know that some of their games are bleeding them dry right now (DCUO took two strong steps out of the gate before falling on its face), why would you end anything that's giving you results in the black? They weren't even willing to explore a no-more-updates, enjoy-your-game free to play type model. It's weeeeeeeeeird.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:41 am

To me it's bittersweet because that's where I met Feather. :D Otherwise, well I only played it for a few months and didn't think it did Star Wars much justice. Plus their "re-work" of the game was just outright ridiculous. What has more subscribers, Planetside or Galaxies? Because planetside was still running last I checked.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 am

Its a shame, The game had something and then failed. I guess the community is done with the idea for now. It seemed like they tried to fresh many times but not recapture what they lost. As I say at my job I am single bound away from being fired every day, I am simply not important enough to keep around after a real F up. This was not a single bound for Sony I think any game could turn the corner like they did.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 am

There was a lot wrong with this game, but crafting in it was a LOT of fun. I loved hunting out quality materials, making prototypes, and doing a production run. I could be looking back on it with rose tinted glasses, but no other game has had a crafting system that was even close to being as fun in my opinion.

And of course, I'll always think fondly on the cantina... some fun little groups popped up from there and I met a lot of fun people.

RIP Galaxies... you made a valiant effort to change up the EQ formula. Sure almost everything was flawed and failed, but you did some stuff right and gave some good memories.
Space for Rent

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:46 pm

There's always the SMG Emu project still going on, for anyone who wants to play old school Galaxies (just before the NGE I think), which is a nice reminder to just how rosey those rose tinted glasses are for many people. But the crafting really is still some of the best in any MMO I've played.

Is Vanguard F2P yet? That game supposedly had some sweet crafting, and a cool card game diplomacy thing.
....Nope! And also a SOE game. Surprised it's still going, pretty sure its subs are well under Galaxies'...
"Classic Wedge"

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm

How many of you all worked on SWG, out of curiosity? And did anyone else come from EQ like I did? Or is it just me and Sord?

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:55 pm

None of us on the boards worked on SW:G to my knowledge. I dunno if Pop has done any work in it's twilight though.

A number of people came from EQ, but not sure how many are still around. I think Marcallo and Sord both did though, Niralica too (although she never posts here now).
Space for Rent

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh. Anyone work on EQ then? when I said I came from EQ I meant I played it...

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Yeah, technically I've "worked" on SWG for a little over two years, but that hasn't yielded much. Mostly just keeping up with the content additions, giving feedback on their ideas, and checking patches before they go up on the test servers. I do work with someone on my team that was on the project before it came out, sounds like it was crazy times
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:55 pm

I came over from Everquest. Was fun to hang out in the cantina, but it was basically a 13 buck a month chat room. The game wasn't "hard core" enough for me. Still I obviously don't regret playing.

/edit - Holy shit, I just looked back my first post in this forum was nearly EIGHT years ago. I barely remember what I had for breakfast today. LOL
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Return to “Star Wars: Galaxies”