Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

Who is your daddy and what does he do? He plays AD&D and Cthulu!
skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Re: Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

Postby skuppy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:51 pm

That's about right, although the cleric doesn't force so much as allow another player to heal when it's not their turn, they can decide to save the healing surge if they want too. A cleric is still the best healer, I think Holy Word is something like Healing Surge + 1D6 so that helps.

What do you mean by weapon proc? Most of the powers have secondary effects depending on the class. Like my Paladin's Daily Power is 3D Weapon D + Str, and a player can within 5 square can spend a Healing Surge. The Warlocks daily is 3D10 and move the opponent so many square away from you.

Minor actions are also a big big part of the game. Warlocks are constantly cursing targets to get better effects out of the Eldritch Blast. My Paladin marks the target as a minor so that the target takes -2 to attack anyone that is not me and suffers 7HP if they attempt to take an action that is not attacking me. I can Lay on Hands as minor action, allows me to spend a Healing Surge and still attack with a Standard. Other classes usually have similiar types of minor actions.

And there is no such thing as more than one attack per round, your attacks just deal more damage as you level up. Gone are the days of the duel weapon fighter with 7 attacks per round. But they did add action points, you can spend an action point to take an extra minor, standard, or move action. These get refilled after a long rest or when you get a milestone, usually by going through 2 or more encounters without stopping to rest and regain encounter powers.
This space for rent.

Feaduin
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Billions and billions eaten.

Postby Feaduin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:38 am

The way you described the way you get a bonus heal by hitting an enemy... it reminded me of a weapon proc in EQ and WoW where a successful weapon strike would allow a random chance to do a special ability. I might have the 'random' part wrong though.

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man

Postby skuppy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:12 am

Some powers are random in that you have to actually hit the enemy and some just go off as a secondary effect. It can be very frustrating when you use your daily power and nothing happens, but as a Paladin even if I miss my daily power attack against an enemy I can still heal an ally.
This space for rent.

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man

Postby skuppy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 pm

We scrapped this in favor of 3.5, not enough character diversity. Everything class feels/plays about the same. I miss magic spells too.

We're still running a 4th edition monster game. I do like what they've done with monster templates. Removed level penalties for over powered monster types and scaled powers back to the (about) the same as PC races.
This space for rent.

Return to “Ye Olde Roleplaying Forum”