Obstacles and Work-arounds

Who is your daddy and what does he do? He plays AD&D and Cthulu!
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Obstacles and Work-arounds

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:27 pm

I am interesting in hearing (or reading) the issues that people faced in former attempts at running a game over a message board, from both sides of the fence.

I imagine one is the 'randomness', usually provided by players, who want to feel in control of their randomness, and the game master, who acts on the behalf of the NPCs. It seems an easy enough compromise to entrust all rolls to the GM, since your fate is in his hands anyway. If you tick him off somehow (hint: orc sodomy) you are done for one way or another.

I am guessing the pace of the game is an issue, complicated greatly by the undependability (for lack of a better term) of players to be around whenever they are 'needed', and even further complicated by situations needing player input in an exact sequence (e.g. combat).

Any other issues?

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Re: Obstacles and Work-arounds

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:11 pm

Ugluk wrote:I am guessing the pace of the game is an issue, complicated greatly by the undependability (for lack of a better term) of players to be around whenever they are 'needed', and even further complicated by situations needing player input in an exact sequence (e.g. combat).

That seemed to hit the nail on the head, at least in regards to the game that was attempted here. People were anxious to sign up and then very few people (myself included) actually put the time necessary into participating.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:33 pm

Its hard to tell were someone's place is and since its all in writing and most people are creative there are lots of lope holes. But, I think you summed that up well.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Grendal
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: Tinkerbell

Postby Grendal » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:56 pm

I actually played in a very organized D&D 3.5 game a few weeks ago. The site was full of them, and it had a die roller, and a place to store character info, etc.

My issue is that if I keep 3 hours slated for D&D on Wednesday night I almost never have an issue making it and participating. If, however, I have to check in on the board here and there, it becomes dificult, and I often forget it. I even stopped playing at one point because I just forgot about it and they kicked me out for idleness.

Return to “Ye Olde Roleplaying Forum”