Fae's Folly

Who is your daddy and what does he do? He plays AD&D and Cthulu!
User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Fae's Folly

Postby Ugluk » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:35 pm

[rpg]Embers crackling in the fire pit rouse you from your reverie. The cozy chair, not often found in taverns these days, is quite relaxing after your recent journey. The drone of the merriment at the bar tries to lull you once more into slumber, but you have things to mull over.

Elaine, the priestess you and your comerades have been escorting seems to have found what she was looking for, or is at least close to it. Also at the tavern this evening are some of the congregation of a nearby temple, in town to trade goods with the locals. It seems that on the way to town they were attacked by a band of orcs, and many of their escort was slain. As they detail the voyage and confrontation you catch many furtive glances in your direction, and you can see Elaine's eyes lighting up with anticipation.

The temple, if this is indeed the same you have been told of on your weeks of travelling, was once presided over by an ancestor of Elaine, though the lineage is sketchy and the fate of the temple an unanswered question until now. It its prime it housed hundreds of worshippers, a company of guards, and open fields where livestock grazed.

There were rumors of another temple, more sinister, likely an adversary of her ancestor. The tales hold that this dark temple enslaved its worshippers, forcing them men to mine the earth and the women to serve the high priest and the nursery. Wizards of vast power maintained undisputed lordship over the surrounding landscape.

You watch as three robed men, unarmed save with common knives, make their way to you. Beyond them you catch a wink from Elaine and a wry grin.

"My companions and I need safe passage back to our place of worship. We are able to compensate you all for your troubles. It is only five miles hence, though we may again be beset by orcs or some other pestilence. We will be leaving two hours after sunrise. There may be work for you at the temple as guards, having lost several of the former guards on this day's trek. Are you interested?"
[/rpg]
Last edited by Ugluk on Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:35 pm

Ground Rules:
What is this? A roleplaying narrative. i.e. a story based in a fantasy setting guided by the 'players' and 'game master'. There will likely be some dice rolls behind the scenes for combat resolution and the like.
Who is involved? Anyone may join in. Initially there is just me. Assuming anyone wants to join in, they can take charge of a 'player character' and an optional henchman (who can be instructed but is ultimately controlled by the 'game master'). More people can join as they like, and people who just want to get their feet wet can, with a player's permission, take full control of a henchman temporarily.
How many characters may I play? One main and one henchman (partial control). If your main becomes out of play (dead, charmed, paralyzed, etc) you may assume full control of the henchman.
Will there be a map? Players are responsible for making any maps, based on narrative description. Additional clarification may be requested by private message from the game master.
What game engine is being used? Imagination. AD&D 2nd Edition rules will play a supporting role, but is not law.
Can I name my character(s) something retarded? You can name your main and henchman as you please, but if it is offensive or otherwise retarded (game master's judgement) you should have an acceptable nickname or your character(s) are going to face social stigma and an uncanny propensity to have 'accidents'.
What races can I play? Human? Yep. Gnome? Nope. Dwarf? Hell no. Elf? Only if you send me nekkid pix (of anyone, really).
What equipment can my characters have? One pack horse is shared between the group. You may have decent gear (your choosing) but nothing magical (with the possible exception of a cool original heirloom) and some cash to spare.
What classes are available? Players may be fighters, rogues, clerics, wizards, a hybrid, and possibly something else (if game master approves). Henchmen may be fighters or rogues only. One non-player character companion is a cleric.
What kind of treasure can I expect? Who knows? It won't be "Monty Haul" style.
If I take lots of chances and do stupid stuff and get a ton of bad luck will my character(s) die? Signs point to Yes.
Will you be sad if I don't play? Yes. Especially you.

Edit: I am presently leaning more toward GURPS (4th ed.) in a supporting role.
Last edited by Ugluk on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:18 am

[rpg]After a few moments without responding, the familiar voice of the priestess' knight interrupts your internal debate. "You need'nt pay us for our journey. Our paths take the same course tomorrow and we will both benefit from combined numbers."

From behind you a friend's muttering echos your thoughts. "Smooth. Must be nice to be rich." You hold back a grin as you nod to the monks.

It appears your rest will not be as long as you had hoped. You order a bottle of wine for your room and make your way upstairs.
[/rpg]

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:19 pm

[rpg]In the early dawn you quit the inn and make your way to the general store. The proprietor and help are already working to outfit the monks and their guard with some new equipment, including a wagon which has already been laden with several corpses.

Through snatches of conversation you learn that the trading monks had numbered ten when they left the temple with twice that in armed escorts. The three you met in the tavern are all the devout remaining, with eight guards. The tragedy seems to have been taken in stride, leaving you to wonder just what these men were trading, and what may lie ahead.

You burden the pack horse with some new food stores and assemble the rest of your company in readiness for the trip. Your companions share the news theyI've gathered. Evidently the temple has a lot of draw, as seven people from town, or the outlying farms, have been recruited to the faith. Three of these appear to be peasant farmers, while the other four are travelling in dark cloaks, and their faces seem more casual or alert than the supplicant peasants.

Joining the guardsmen are three men with smallish roundshields and an unfamiliar style of short sword. They appear to have been around the town square a time or two.

All told the group returning to the temple appears little stronger than the one that set out. Though the first ambushing party or orcs was destroyed save for a handful that managed to retreat, you can't shake the notion that another bloodbath is coming this day.
[/rpg]

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:52 pm

[rpg]The going is slow through the dense woods. The track is not well worn and the wagons are cumbersom. After the first two miles you begin to see smoke rising above the canopy. Fire could mean many things, most of them bad. If the woods are ablaze there will be no passage forward, and indeed the lives of the company may be threatened. If the fire indicates a waylaid wreckage, it would not be a relief. The smoke is fairly light and not wide, so the decision is made to press on.

After another hour has passed, one of the new recruits comes out of the woods in front of you, though nobody seems to realize he had ventured ahead. He reports of a group down the road with a large coach that has stopped to make a cooking fire, and is singing and dancing. Only two of the folks appear armed. Their camp is in the middle of a large clearning, making closer investigation a riskier endeavor.

Without instruction, or even pausing to receive any, the man is off among the trees again. Surveying the group you do not see any sign of the other cloaked new arrivals, though the farmers are still around assisting the wagons.

The shadows of the trees are lengthening as you come upon the forwarned group. Their dancing has stopped but their is some low singing by a man in extravagant clothing, accompanied by his lute. The group appears to have heard you coming, for they sit upon their coach and watch as you make your own way into the clearing.
[/rpg]

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:53 pm

[rpg]Sir Mansfield walks ahead of the comany and hails the performing troupe. His polished armor is unblemished and the sun's reflection occasionally blinds you as you watch him stride. An alluring woman atop the coach raises a hand and appears about to answer when the woods circling the clearing erupt in gutteral cackle. The veteran temple guards appear near to soiling themselves.

A trio of olive skinned orcs adorned in crude leather armor with axes and other blades tucked in their belts emerge from the trees to the northeast, chuckling as they make their way toward the campfire. About 10 feet shy of the blaze the orcs halt, and the lead announces in a crude dialect that the travellers are tresspassing on the soverign land of the orc king, and he demands tribute for safe passage.

You can see humanoids moving around at the bases of trees just outside the clearing, and hear occasional rustling in the tree branches. It is not clear how many beasts have come to extract the toll, nor if they will be satisfied with coin alone.

Still gleaming, Mansfield approaches the orcs with his own weapon, an impressive length of blade with a bejeweled hilt, still sheathed on his back. The knight offers to challenge their best warrior in a test of arms for safe passage.

The three orcs confer a few seconds and shrug. They turn back to face the knight and the leader nods, smiling. He barks a single word, "Kaang", and at its utterance the cackling in the woods dies down, replaced with a thrumming chant. "Kaang."
[/rpg]
Last edited by Ugluk on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Posts: 2374
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:57 am
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:44 pm

[rpg]In a matter of seconds a figure emerges from the east. Clad in an ecclectic arrangement of linked chains, leather plates, metal bands, and tattered cloth, he looks to be about seven feet in height and bears forth a hammer about half as tall. The blunt end is the size of a man's fist, while the other is a curved spike.

The orcs move off to the side, and Mansfield draws his sword as Kaang doesn't look like he wants to chat. Elaine steps toward the knight, alarm clear on her face, and is motioned back by several people. All of your companions, as well as the performers, are on the ground now and ready to take action. The monks have gathered the new peasant recruits into a ring and are intoning their own chant, heedless of the confused farmers. The orcs don't appear to notice, being occupied with the exploits of their champion.

Sir Mansfield keeps the beast at bay for nearly two minutes in a show of arms you frankly didn't think he was capable of. He appears to grow fatigued though, while the beast rages on tirelessly, neither harming the other. At last the knight gets his blade to the neck of his adversary and draws the first blood, but before he can rejoice his blade is pinned against his breast in a crushing blow that caves his chestpiece in, leaving a gaping hole. The knight's sword shatters at an angle along the blade, but he is barely concious of it.

Kaang yanks his hammer out, turns it over, and sweeps the hook into the rend, plunging it into Mansfield's ribcage. The sword falls to the feet of Kaang, who wastes no time in ripping the entire breastplate off of the knight in a spray of blood. Mansfield falls forward to his knees, eyes staring ahead blankly. He gropes for the remainder of his weapon even as the beast is shaking the platemail off of his hammer.

Sir Mansfield gains some clarity as he kneels at the waist of the beast, grasps the hilt of his weapon in both hands, and drives it directly up into the groin of Kaang, who is poised to strike a killing blow. The blow does not come down as intended, but falls backward as Kaang's grip loosens. The beast's knees buckle and he drops to the knight's level, driving the spike deeper, and Kaang is no more.

The orcs howl with rage at being cheated of their victory. One after another, four arrows dive from the canopy and drill into the exposed chest and back of Sir Mansfield, who slumps forward against Kaang.

Most of the beseiged group stands in horror at the turn of events, but not all are idle, and the four assailants fall from their perches moments later with a variety of fatal wounds.
[/rpg]


Return to “Ye Olde Roleplaying Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests