Looks interesting...

Who is your daddy and what does he do? He plays AD&D and Cthulu!
Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller
Custom Rank: Voice of Reason

Looks interesting...

Postby Ugluk » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:01 am

... but I think with the amount of time I've been browsing forums I'd end up being too present. I am reminded of Dogbert insulting Dilbert with, "I'll try to say this gently .. a little bit of you goes a long way."

It has been a while since I did D&D stuff, but I played around with it and a few other rpg's in my youthier days.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:26 am

It was my goal here a while back to run an online only RPG but it proved to be too difficult with peoples scheduel and a lack of experience on the part of some players. Basically only 2 people had any TRUE interest and experience plus myself. I may try it again in the future now that we have so much fresh blood here.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:28 am

Ooh, yes yes, try again. :)

It's Evolution Baby!
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby It's Evolution Baby! » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 pm

I'd be pretty interested and have the time. I get pretty sick of the restrictivness of MMOs sometimes. Plus my RL gaming group has basically fallen apart.
Illius - Night Elf Rogue

Kylare
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Kylare » Tue May 03, 2005 10:56 am

My interest is peaked to say the least, but, I've got one problem...

Third Edition?!! *groan* I'm sort of a snob when it comes to the new rules, I mean, I like the "backwardsness" (is that a word) of the combat and armor system in 2nd Edition and previous versions. I enjoyed the Player's Option rules which gave you more flexibility when crating your characters, and the rules of the game, but haven't even considered playing 3rd+ edition rules.

My last game ran two years (weekly) when I took 8 characters through everything from an underground dwarven city which had been destroyed to a floating castle inhabited by Cloud Giants (Oh the joys of an illusionary trap which made them think they fell out the bottom of the castle miles to their deaths [actually lost one who failed a 96% system shock roll <i>twice</i>!). Fun times to be had when the theif consumes a polymorph self potion and an invisibility potion and you roll a 00 for the compatibility (I decided to make him polymorph permantly, as opposed to permanent invisibility, which made for some interesting situations, to say the least)

I'd like to find out more, even though I'm still new to these forums, and I still have a considerable amount of material to "sift" through, most of my questions may have already been addressed here. I guess my first question would be does it <i>have</i> to be 3rd edition? I can't help but think of Garth from Wayne's World...

We fear change...
*grabs the hammer and beats the mechanical hand which started to move like a psychotic who hasn't taken his meds*

I guess let me know (if this hasn't been abandoned) and I may be able to waste some time with fellow freaks of like mindedness... and if it has been abandoned... then I'll type quietly to myself in the corner of the room... :D
Ner'Zhul
Vilaris 57th level Night Elven Huntress [on vacation] (1,143/1,200)
Thrye 37th level Human Paladin (743/1200)

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large --" "Skip a bit, Brother."

Primera
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Postby Primera » Thu May 12, 2005 6:24 pm

I would so be down with some 3.5 action. Unfortunatly to some of you older gamers I grew up with the 3.0 and 3.5 system. So I'm a veteran when it comes to that. So if you could get a few people together for some online gaming I'd be so down for it! Lemme know.

Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:42 am

I think I've spent more time reading game manuals than actually playing campaigns, and probably 2/3rds of the time I've played I've been the GM. This weekend I went in search of either updated rules for Middle Earth Roleplaying or Generic Universal Role-Playing System (GURPS) and found the latter. GURPS was the first system I came across (~16 years ago) that was focused on the character, with skill selection, advantages and disadvantages for more character, and the traditional attributes. I like it for its attention to the individuality of the character more than for its ability to transition from Fantasy to Sci-Fi to cloak and dagger or whatever without changing systems.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Check out Rifts, it's my new favorite.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:13 pm

I'm enjoying Fae's Folly and would play along but I don't own a rulebook and don't know how to play. I just hope someone else who does will take an active roll in it but even if no one does it's still fun to read. Don't give up!
ImageImage

Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Ugluk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:17 pm

Free quickstart: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/ (dunno how involved it is to get it, but should be $0)

I remember Rifts from back when I purchased GURPS. I never looked into it much, but the cover certainly looked interesting.

I don't remember what prompted me, but the end of last week I was plotting out a rough sketch of the temple and thinking of various fates that could have befallen it over the years as new parties overthrough the indigents or were repelled. I went through my old D&D bestiary (not all that large) and narrowed down the scope, avoiding the uniquitous undead (or did I?) and trying to find appropriate and interesting denizens. I wanted to keep things realistic, such as having maintainable food sources, defendable entry point(s), entertainment, training, trade, and stuff. I even fleshed out the main level of the temple in Visio, highlighting my capacity for wasting time. I drew the line at furnishing it though (except for doors, curtains, and mebbe some portculli).

So.. then I had a temple, and some options for what lay before, beyond, and beneath. About that time I started thinking about what players would want and my own hangups. Erm .. preferences. I went with the notion that people really focus on one character, but they want some flexibility and an 'out' if their main dies, so the 'main and lackey' seemed reasonable. I didn't think that the impending adventure, having a vast predominance of humans (who habitually demonstrate racial intolerance) and other enemies, would work well with a group of mixed races. More likely though, it is a 'just because' on my part.

I did want the flexibility of players to drive any character class they desired, with a more limited backup (which I could be made to waffle on). With that in mind, I have deliberately not written any of them into the narrative thus far, with the exception of the new recruits and guards of the cult .. erm priesthood.

I think I'll start a separate thread regarding the obstacles to making roleplaying work within the medium of a message board. Hopefully we can overcome them and get something moving in this area.

--

At this point in Fae's Folly I have expended my pre-conceived introduction, which is not to say it can't or won't continue, but I'll have to think up more. And hit the thesaurus for more ways to describe people being shuffled loose the mortal coil.

Ugluk
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Ugluk » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 am

I was sketching out a snapshot of the clearing in the story and placing wagons, behicles, and bodies. Then I started adding up the group compositions .. 21 here, 9 here, 5 or more of these, a bunch of orcs ..

and the thought occurs to me: This is gonna lag.

In a real sense, it will 'lag' due to the number of things to consider, but it reminds me that one of the technological issues that has yet to be solved adequately is that large scale battles, which many of these games are sold as, utterly suck. They are unplayable. Maybe some people with pimped out machines can wade through the lag and pick off defenseless victims of latency, but even then what fun is there in that?

I guess you can score one for pen-and-paper rpg's in the aspect of: Your performance is not dependant on the depth of your wallet.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:30 am

A book by wizards just came out called "Heroes of Battle" Skimming through it I discovered it has some good ways to plan epic battles and how to fit player characters into them, without the "Lag" that you speak of in a P&P game you should probably check that out.

Return to “Ye Olde Roleplaying Forum”