30th Anniversary of D&D

Who is your daddy and what does he do? He plays AD&D and Cthulu!
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

30th Anniversary of D&D

Postby Marcallo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:24 pm

This coming Saturday, the 16th of October will mark the official silver anniversary of the Dungeons and Dragons game. Apparently it was around that time that Gary Gygax looked at his dice, put down his pen and said "Yeah, that about covers it".

Anyway, Wizards.com has a whole bunch of neat stuff on their D&D section of the webpage and a lot of local hobby stores are running special modules and giving away free shit to boot. I will be one of the Guest DM's at our Local store an am running a beginners module for the Eberron campaign setting.

I'm actually taking the current WoW downtime while the patch installs to review the world source book as I've never actually run an Eberron Campaign.

Anyway, hope a bunch of you decide to go be official nerds for the day and participate in a celebration of the history of one of my favorite hobbies, you know, Besides the whole sex with easy women thing. :)
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: No Da!

Postby Niralica » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:29 am

Niftly, Happy Anniversary D&D

Hope you have fun running your campaign Marc. :) I wonder if we even have a WotC store here in Tulsa... They had em in San Diego, loved going in there, but never had the money to buy even 1/100th of what I wanted. :P

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:05 am

Considering that all the Wizards store went out of business, I would doubt it. As far as I know one of the last ones just shut down by me about 6 months ago. But really any local hobby shop or comic store that has gaming areas should be running this stuff.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:20 am

But WotC was sooo much better. :) I loved that store, too bad they didn't do so well. I bet it was cause they put em in the malls. Well atleast the 2 I knew of were in the malls. They need to open em up next to some lil arcade. :P

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 am

The problem the Wizards stores learned quickly is what Games workshop is learning slowly. They canabalized their own fan base and quickly lost customers because of it. People want to have variety when they go to hobby shops. I like that when I go to my local place that he has Wizkids, Workshops, Whitewolf, AND yes Wizards.

It's kind of one stop shopping. And wizards didn't do what G.Workshop did. Workshop doesn't sell certain items to it's retail distributors instead only allowing THEIR stores to sell it. And for a preimium at that. Also I don't know if you'v eever been in one of their stores. but their employees are FANTATICAL. You are immediately assaulted the second you walk in. They are on a form of Draw Comission where if they don't sell a certain amount of points in a wee they are basically not paid for their time. And they're required to play the games and buy miniatures to boot.

So yeah, HObby SHop for teh win.

Niralica
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Niralica » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:30 am

G workshop is on the draw commission or WotC? I liked the guys in the wizards store, cept the manager didn't give me a seasonal christmas job. He kept saying he'd hire me but didn't, I was sooo looking forward to that. So I ended up working for Macy's for a week and said screw this. :P The wizards people never seemed pushy. They did have lots of demo's they'd show you though, but I thought it was fun. :) It was like walking into a gamers amusement park. The employee's would be playing magic or some other card game on the tables, or there would be people role playing.

The reason I say they shouldn't put em in malls is... The thing I remember about comic shops is on the weekends until the wee hours of the morning they would have role playing sessions, or card tournaments. They can't do that in the mall. And what better time to buy crap than waiting for your turn in a card turney, or after you've already lost and want to buy that card that just kicked the shit out of your deck. :P

Damn, can I go back to 7 years ago? :( There just aren't enough geeks in OK.

Return to “Ye Olde Roleplaying Forum”