Issue 9 - Inventions

Help defend Paragon City from the forces of EBIL! (Or trash the place and cause mayhem!)
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Issue 9 - Inventions

Postby Sord » Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 am

Issue 9 is here with the release of the invention system!

Make new costume stuff like wings and enhancements that will stay good forever, i.e. you don't out-level them. You just can't combine them with any other enhancements.

This is the info I gleaned from the tutorial they give you as you go to the university so this is a very basic rundown.

Two types of salvage. Base and invention. Invention salvage is what we use to invent stuff. Naturally.

You need two things. Recipes and salvage. Both are drops you can get from mobs. Recipes are a one time use. For example, accuracy recipe drops. It requires salvage x and y. So you have to either fight mobs til you get x and y to drop, or you can look on the black market (new AH type system). You have a "recipe" tab next to your salvage tab. Note: You can buy recipes from the black market as well. Go to the work bench inside the university or in a super group base that has a bench, find your recipe (It will highlight green on any you can create if you have the recipe and salvage) and create it. They can cost a buttload of infamy. In the tutorial they give you two pieces of salvage and like 38k infamy (for a lvl 25 enhancement).

Once you create a certain recipe so many times, I want to say 10ish, you learn it permanently. So say you find Accuracy recipe lvl 15 ten times and create it, you'll learn it forever and earn a badge.

I'm still trying to figure it all out, but thems the basics!
Bye space sword!

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue May 01, 2007 10:44 am

I have absolutely no clue what this all means... but it sounds like they are basically adding items into the game via crafting. With craftable items and the new repeatable missions... I dare say CoV/CoH has reinvented itself.

All it needs now is some end game content... and I hate to say it, but after that CoV could be a legitimate MMO to reactivate and play on a consistent basis.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Tue May 01, 2007 11:08 am

Phat.Stack wrote:I have absolutely no clue what this all means... but it sounds like they are basically adding items into the game via crafting. With craftable items and the new repeatable missions... I dare say CoV/CoH has reinvented itself.

All it needs now is some end game content... and I hate to say it, but after that CoV could be a legitimate MMO to reactivate and play on a consistent basis.

If CoH/V hasn't came out with end game content after 3 years, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 am

Its pretty neat. So far in like 4ish missions I've found 3 recipes and damn near filled my 30 slots for invention salvage.

There are two types of enhancements.

First is the regular invention enhancements. How they work is they don't lose any effectiveness as you level up. Regular enhancements will get lower and lower as you gain levels until finally they are red and you don't get any benefit. The normal invention enhancements will stay the same % of effectiveness until they go red.

Then there are set enhancements. You can only put one type on each power set and you can get set bonuses for having more of the set complete. Sets can be as little as 3 or as much as 6.

At least I think thats how they work :) The enhancement crap in this game always confuses me.
Bye space sword!

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue May 01, 2007 11:26 am

Kiawah wrote:If CoH/V hasn't came out with end game content after 3 years, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Well, your definition of endgame content differs from mine, Im sure.

If PvP is actually decent, there are enough Badge rewards to make collecting them worthwhile, and getting into missions at 40 to 50 provide things like inventions (that are still interesting)... then thats end game content enough for me.

I was never the type to need time intensive PvE encounters to satiate me. Hence my move to Bonechewer in WoW.

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue May 01, 2007 11:31 am

Phat.Stack wrote:
Kiawah wrote:If CoH/V hasn't came out with end game content after 3 years, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Well, your definition of endgame content differs from mine, Im sure.

If PvP is actually decent, there are enough Badge rewards to make collecting them worthwhile, and getting into missions at 40 to 50 provide things like inventions (that are still interesting)... then thats end game content enough for me.

I was never the type to need time intensive PvE encounters to satiate me. Hence my move to Bonechewer in WoW.

As far as I can tell (I could be totally wrong) PvP in CoH is the equivalent of dueling out front of IF.

Trede
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Trede » Tue May 01, 2007 11:38 am

I don't know, even ages ago when Taf and I duo pvp'ed in CoV, it was better than dueling outside IF. I forget which zones do what, but in one zone you get the name of a player on the opposing faction to hunt down, which was kind of fun. And heroes and villains can chat with each other in broadcast chat, leading to extra fun trash-talking. There are also rewards for time spent pvping, like earning single origin enhancements.

I actually want to pvp in CoV again... :smile:

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 am

Trede wrote:I don't know, even ages ago when Taf and I duo pvp'ed in CoV, it was better than dueling outside IF. I forget which zones do what, but in one zone you get the name of a player on the opposing faction to hunt down, which was kind of fun. And heroes and villains can chat with each other in broadcast chat, leading to extra fun trash-talking. There are also rewards for time spent pvping, like earning single origin enhancements.

I actually want to pvp in CoV again... :smile:

I know, I'm full of shit

I just enjoy bringing Phat.Stack pain and misery, it is my goal in life. You can only gang bang someone so many times before you need new thrills.
Last edited by Kiawah on Tue May 01, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 am

Trede wrote:I don't know, even ages ago when Taf and I duo pvp'ed in CoV, it was better than dueling outside IF. I forget which zones do what, but in one zone you get the name of a player on the opposing faction to hunt down, which was kind of fun. And heroes and villains can chat with each other in broadcast chat, leading to extra fun trash-talking. There are also rewards for time spent pvping, like earning single origin enhancements.

Yeah, I read that there were quite a few different mission types in PvP now. I think there was a CTF-like mission, those head hunter missions, base assaults... I didnt read up on others, but it sounded interesting at least.

I certainly hope they add some kind of rewards for it at some point... this very type of thing is what keeps me in WoW; arenas and arena gear.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Wed May 02, 2007 12:20 am

The pvp zones sound pretty cool actually. They are level capped too so you can't go into a lower level one as a level 50 and gank all the lower levels. You get exemplar'd down to the max level of the zone.

Every damn recipe I picked up needs a spell scroll salvage. Of course I got zero to drop until I did a newspaper mission involving the Circle of Thorns. Naturally.

I have no idea how the black market is supposed to work. It seems like they have every item listed and people can bid on them even if no one is selling one. Perhaps the moment someone lists it and you have the proper price, it will immediately sell? I dunno. It was kind of confusing.

And it seemed to update live so the list would move up and down a whole lot. Kind of annoying when you are trying to browse.
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Wed May 02, 2007 3:44 am

So I was off on the invention enhancements. The first kind I listed, the non-set type, do not ever lose their potency and never go red. They simply are stronger or weaker depending on their level.

http://paragonwiki.com/Invention_Origin_Enhancements

There is no maximum slotting level with IOs, and strength is based only on the enhancement level, not on the level of the player who slots them. IOs never expire/go red, and their strength never decays. If a level 10 enhancement gives a 10% bonus, then it can be slotted by a level 7 character or a level 50 character for the same 10% bonus. Though the same enhancement built with a higher level will give a higher bonus, so there is still incentive to upgrade as levels are gained

You can also purchase recipes from universities. They aren't too terribly cheap but considering that they last potentially until 50, they are a pretty damn good investment.

About costume recipes:

Costume items currently can only be used by the person who makes them. According to the documentation, making a costume item automatically delivers it to Icon or Facemaker for you to use. There is no information if this is then free to add or will cost you to add to your character. In other words, you can't invent a costume and then sell or give or trade that costume away. You can sell or give away or trade the recipe and salvage for the costume, though. According to Positron, if you want a level 1 character to have an invention costume item, you can give them the recipe, salvage, and influence/infamy to make it themselves.
Bye space sword!

Lithwolf
Midshipman
Midshipman
Games: WoW, War

Postby Lithwolf » Wed May 02, 2007 8:12 pm

I haven't found jack for recipes yet, but I found probably 60+ invention salvage worth a assload of infamy compared to what you'd normally have at my level (from what I remember from CoH that is).
-Lithwolf, 70 Rogue and Captain of your dumb face

Return to “City of Heroes / Villains”