Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Legion Jewelcrafting and Prospecting Ore

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm a little confused about how prospecting works now. To be fair I haven't leveled my gathering character so I haven't gone through the process of mining up all the new ores, nor have I done extensive research. Damon keeps sending me Laystone ore to blow up for gems but all I get are these items called "Gem Chip". When I looked them up I got a mess of confusing information:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=129100/gem-chip#comments

Apparently these chips I have can only be used in cooking? Anyhow, as I was milling I got a recipe drop called Design: Mass Prospect Leystone. I learned it and tried to figure out how to use it. My regular prospecting button still just milled 5 ore and gave me a single Gem Chip. It turns out that prospecting thing is an actual recipe in my jewelcrafting window. It takes one Sangrite (small red gem) which I had one of. It took 20 Leystone Ore and 1 small red gem and I got a large Shadowruby.

I need to figure out how to get more of the smaller green gems. I think I need to prospect different ore to do that...
ImageImage

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Re: Legion Jewelcrafting and Prospecting Ore

Postby Munki » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Looked in to this;

There are two types of Prospectable Ore: Leystone Ore and Felslate Ore.

Leystone Ore: Much Higher chance of green quality gems.
Felslate Ore: Much higher chance of blue quality gems.

When you prospect, you will also get Gem Chips (sometimes that is ALL you get!). These are sort of a way for your to predict t he next color of gem you get. Keep in mind this applies ONLY to your LOOT WINDOW... if you have Auto-Loot on, you will never see this mechanic (I wonder if you can Shift Click when prospecting to force the loot window, like you can with normal looting).

Anyway; in the loot window, your Gem Chips will actually be colored... as in the Gem Chip icon. That color will tell you what the next color full gem you prospect will be. This way you can kind of target the gems you want for the Rare (blue quality) gems!

Example: You want a RED gem (blue quality) for your gear. So you go and you grind up your leystone ore (which is much more plentiful) until you get a red Gem Chip. At that point you switch over to your Felslate Ore and BAM... Red Gem for you!

As soon as the Gem Chip hits your bag though, it will turn white. Also keep in mind Gem Chips can be used in some crafting recipies, I believe there is something for Cooking.
Space for Rent

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Also anecdotally, I've heard that mass milling is broken and you don't get the amount of gems you're supposed to. I've also heard prospecting in general is just all around bad. Not sure if bug or intended.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:55 pm

I have auto loot enabled. This is probably why I never ever saw that stupid window they were talking about. The "predictive" one. Now I feel like I wasted a bunch of ore. Lame.
ImageImage

Return to “World of Warcraft”