Official unofficial Warlords of Draenor post

"Cry 'Havoc', and let spill the Grog of War!"
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Official unofficial Warlords of Draenor post

Postby Sord » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:46 pm

*taps mic* Is this thing on? If only the bots could reply and keep me company.

It's that time again. New expansion a bit over a month away. With that, people end up playing at one point or another for various reasons.

So for those that still stop by on occasion, what are your WoW plans, if any? What are your thoughts on the expansion now that details have been trickling out over time?

I'm excited for a few things. I really loved Outland in TBC. My hope is that it can capture some of that same magic.

Garrisons sound like a lot of fun. Not quite the player housing everyone has been wanting for ages but close-ish. Sort of.

After endless months of Siege of Orgrimmar, I am kind of tired of orcs. So I'm not entirely sold on yet more orcs but I'm pretty confident that the end of expansion wont be just orcs. The bronze/infinite dragonflight is of course behind things (sorry spoilers) so they'll have to be dealt with somehow. I'm just speculating here but since Grommash ended up not drinking the demon blood, I'm sure the burning legion now has a bone to pick with the alternate outland residents so they may be cropping up. Who knows.

Anyhow, discuss! Or don't!
Bye space sword!

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Re: Official unofficial Warlords of Draenor post

Postby dcazman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

I miss this game and the people but I doubt I am coming back. It had too much of a time sync. I barely get an hour a day to play anything and now I am fat again and not playing WOW.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Hooters gonna hoot.
Games: Your mom.

Postby Kyecsrai » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 pm

While I haven't been keeping up on WoW related news and don't really know much of anything about the new expansion I might give it a whirl. Outside of an incredibly short stint with ESO I've been keeping away from MMOs since I bailed out during Cataclysm, and I am kinda feeling the itch again. And while I am rather loathe to admit it, I do kind of miss you fuckers. <3
Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm already resubbed and am excited to play! I do agree with dcaz about the games ability to suck one into a vortex of time, like Rip Van Winkle sitting down to take a nap and waking up a century later. I try to avoid this by doing a couple things on my "to do list" before even sitting at the computer. Sometimes this leads me to never getting back to my desk before the day is done, but I do go to bed these days feeling like I didn't shirk my responsibilities (most of the time.)

I'm seriously excited to play with the toybox. Not only will my totally full bank (and when I say full I mean it. There is not one space left in my bank...) and mostly full bags empty out, but I'll have a new spellbook with a toy checklist to go looking for in order to fill it to capacity. Well, that's hours and hours of fun right there! <3
ImageImage

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Postby Kiawah » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:05 pm

I doubt I'll ever play WoW while it's still a subscription. I just don't see the point in paying a monthly fee for a 10 year old game. I tried to get back into MMOs with Wildstar, but was kind of in the same boat... where I only get 1, maybe 2 hours a night, which makes it really hard to progress in an MMO. Games like League of Legends are a better fit, where I can log in, play 2-3 matches, and call it a day. May give Heroes of the Storm a try, but not sure about that one, doesn't look that great.

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Kiawah how would you rate League of Legends vrs DOTA 2? If we can go off topic :)
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Well, since you mentioned Heroes of the Storm... I can give some insight. Damon and I have put in a lot of time and both have a lot of fun with it. Though it is alpha access only at the moment so the unlucky folks will still have a while to wait.

Let me preface this by saying before Heroes of the Storm, I was not a fan of the genre. I used to watch a good amount of LoL and Dota2 on Youtube and Twitch and the two big things that stuck out to me were the vast ocean of items and the game length. The first 20 minutes of the game is the teams poking back and forth at eachother while trying to get as many last hits on creep. Yawn. Barron, if your time is limited, Heroes of the Storm is probably a great fit. Games are in the 15-20 minute range on average due to how things scale in the "late game." Maps are smaller, team fights are common, death timers are brutal and player damage vs structures increases a lot the higher level you are.

I like the various map mechanics. The game is more than just players vs towers like LoL and Dota2. The various map objectives are pretty unique and fun and makes for a lot of action. Team fights happen very early and frequently in the game. There is no last hitting. You just have to be in range of enemey creep when they die to get exp. It is actually a very important mechanic because if you are out of lane for too long, your team falls behind in exp and it can be difficult to come back once you are behind. However, that isn't to say its impossible. I've seen so many games where one team dominates the early and mid game and makes a series of very stupid plays in the late game that ends up causing them to lose. It is a fun balance to strike especially early game. Do you go for the objective with your full team? You may get the objective sure but then you are a level and a half behind in exp if the enemy team decides to stay in lane. It really makes you have to adapt to what the other team is doing and I like it.

The talent system is the replacement for items in the other games and often change how you play your character. Some talents straight up change the functionality of an ability. Others are more cut and dry on what they do. If you end up with 2 support on your team, they can take some damage talents instead of healing, etc.

The game is not perfect by any means though. It is still technical alpha and shit is changing all the time. They tried to do artifacts which are essentially runes from LoL. The entire playerbase hated it, they made certain heroes grossly overpowered and some were just straight up broken. They ended up scrapping the whole thing. Unfortunately out of that mess the talent gating system survived. Each character has their own exp bar and you have to play several games to unlock the full potential. I don't buy the "its fun to unlock things" excuse when it comes to talents nor do I buy the "it's to gradually introduce new players to their talents" excuse. It really sucks when you buy a brand new hero and awww you don't even have access to both ultimate abilities.
----------------------------

For WoW related stuff, I've decided that I'm going to move my DK to alt status and focus on my Warrior. I'm still going to tank. After all these years as a DK tank, the mobility of the warrior class is just too enticing. I love charging all over the place, using heroic leap, intervening party members and I love the aesthetic of my worgen.

I also can't wait for the toybox. My bags aren't quite as bad off but I'll most likely gain at least 1/3 of all bag space back across my characters.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:22 pm

dcazman wrote:Kiawah how would you rate League of Legends vrs DOTA 2? If we can go off topic :)

I've only played a tiny bit of DOTA 2, but I've been playing LoL for probably close to a year now. I tried DOTA 2 a little bit, but I didn't like it. The pace of the game seemed slower, I thought the graphics were horrible (not that LoL or any MOBA for that matter has great graphics). I didn't like the interface, it seemed clunky. This is based off a total of about 5 DOTA 2 games, compared to hundreds in LoL. DOTA is a bit tougher than LoL though... LoL is more forgiving to new players. If you're looking for a 1st time MOBA, I'd recommend LoL over DOTA.

(my next paragraph I'm writing as though I haven't spoken to Damon about HoS)

What I've been hearing from Heroes of the Storm though, is if you've never played a MOBA before, you'll love it. If you're into competitive MOBAs like LoL or DOTA 2, you'll hate it. And I am.

No last hitting or cs, no items, no gold, kills don't really matter, short games, individual bad players can't throw a game, and individual good players can't carry a game. It's not that competitive, on an individual level.

I'll probably give it a try though. I'm sure it'll be ok, just different. It's f2p, so what's there to lose. I'm optimistic.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:20 am

No last hitting or cs, no items, no gold, kills don't really matter, short games, individual bad players can't throw a game, and individual good players can't carry a game. It's not that competitive, on an individual level.

All of that is true except for the individual players can't throw a game. Early game, deaths don't mean much exp wise IF your team can react and put someone in lane to cover for the loss of exp from being in range of creep. After 10, if a person "feeds" it is just more exp for the other team and also leaves your team 4v5. There is a bigger focus on team fights so being 4v5 is often a losing proposition. It is a team focused game so individual skill is downplayed a bit but I can tell you right now that certain characters of a certain skill CAN and DO carry a team. Specifically Stitches, Nova and Zeratul. Any hero that can make a 4v5 situation (via hooks or insane burst damage) will really do well in things like solo queue.

It is all up to preference beyond though. I think last hitting is a dumb and tedious mechanic as is the huge ocean of items. It is a giant barrier to entry and also ends up being kind of "cookie cutter." As is typical with a lot of games, people have boiled down the best possible way to play/build a character and if you do otherwise you're "doing it wrong" and will be ridiculed. Of course it is on a character by character basis for both games. Some characters have an obvious "best" way to be built for talents/items and some have several viable options. One isn't necessarily better than the other. To me talents feel like they have more impact than stat sticks that have a clicky buff effect.

Personally I enjoy the short games. As a viewer, the longer games of LoL/dota2 are extremely boring to watch for the first 20 minutes or more. The laning phase is very monotonous. As a player, I also enjoy shorter games. There is a map called the Garden of Terror in HoTS that often runs into the 35+ mins and I ugh every single time. The map is much larger than all the others and ends up being very spread out so the team fights are very downplayed and the match drags the fuck on. Hopping on and banging out 2-3 games in an hour just feels nice. You get some intense action for a short time played.

I think the criticism I see the most from LoL/Dota2 players aimed towards HoTS is that it lacks depth. Boy, that is not true at all. The thing it lacks is a massive pool of diverse characters and that is simply because it is newer. There have been a few unofficial tournaments played and it is pretty crazy to see all the diverse ways to see the game being played with so few characters. Of course there is a bit of a hierarchy of what characters are considered "good" so you do end up seeing a lot of the same compositions but that will change as the stable of heroes increases.

As Barron said though, it will be free to try. It won't hurt to check it out and see what you prefer!
Bye space sword!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:51 pm

6.0 on Tuesday! The pre-event starts. Ability pruning, stat squish, tank squish. New 5 man blackrock spire revamp. Fun for the whole family!
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 am

Ved
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: I sleep in a drawer

Postby Ved » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:59 pm

I came on here to see who was still playing with the new expansion, I tried to WoW again with my free week but couldn't get into it. It only seems to have changed for the better but MMOs don't seem to hit the same spot of my brain anymore. I'm enjoying heroes of the storm a lot, it's not super strategic yet but it's fun. My battle.net ID is RumDum#1526 if anybody wants to add me and play HOTS sometime. That acronym and the super generic name are probably the worst parts of the game. That and the typical pub group ragers that infest games like dota and lol.

Anyway, have fun raiding! -50 DKP for this post?
Why are pirates pirates?
They just AAAARRRRRR!

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Psh no one uses DKP anymore.
Bye space sword!

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Hooters gonna hoot.
Games: Your mom.

Postby Kyecsrai » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 am

Welp, I re-installed and played over the weekend and outside of an initial huntard moment I was pew pewing like a boss and it felt like I never left. I have yet to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 am

Garrisons are addicting. At the start when you're saving resources to get your upgraded buildings, it is physically painful to hold off and not send followers out on missions since missions use resources.

I love having an area that is "mine." I hope they add a bit more cosmetic customization in the future. It also has me thinking to the future. I never got too into the farm in MoP so I don't really miss it but when it comes time to move off of Draenor for the next expansion, I'm going to miss my garrison a lot. I kind of hope that this is a step into just having our own personal space on Azeroth that will be relavant for the rest of the game.

The cut scenes have all been fantastic. The endings from Talador and Nagrand were both amazing. I hope to see more from Yrel.
Bye space sword!

Return to “World of Warcraft”