"Cry 'Havoc', and let spill the Grog of War!"
Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Drive fast, take chances

Found this pretty hilarious

Postby Kiawah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 am

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3300854

As if WoW wasn't dumbed down enough, they need to make it more so? I really could care less about the state of WoW at this point, but I found this change to be particularly hilarious. I thought I had plenty of reasons to never play WoW again, but nope, Blizzard found another!

The TLDR version: tanking is too hard for random players in the dungeon finders, so threat is being removed to make tanking trivial. No that is not a joke or sarcasm, that is Blizzard's official stance.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Re: Found this pretty hilarious

Postby Sord » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 am

Threat didn't matter in the first place, at least not after the first 30 seconds of any boss fight. You were so far ahead on threat that if a tank and spank fight actually existed in Cata, you could afk for the next 4 minutes. All that really changes is that lesser geared tanks don't have fear of the uber geared DPS ripping aggro off them in the RDF and an easier time picking up and holding onto adds. As a long time tank, I actually approve of that change. Threat was never interesting or engaging. All it ever did was cause frustration and hold people back. Waiting for 5 sunders was sweet, right? Having to yell at your DPS to feign or vanish is cool, right? I DID enjoy yelling at Damon when he'd open up on a new add and get squished but I'm sure everyone else on vent with me didn't like it as much.

I.E. watching a threat meter is dumb. This allows them to really focus on other things, such as interrupts, movement, active mitigation (which is in the works for all tanks, similar to the blood DK though not all tanks really like it, especially current blood DK's :P)

Really though it is a quality of life thing for the reasons stated above. A good tank didn't have threat issues in the first place, a "bad" tank will be able to hold threat but will still be bad and get squished by avoidable crap or misuse of a cooldown and an undergeared tank can queue up in the RDF and not have to look like a fool in front of the group while the heroic geared boomkin grapes everything in the mouth.
Last edited by Sord on Sun May 13, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bye space sword!

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am

Well, threat mechanics being boring is a matter of opinion. One of the most interesting fights in all of WoW was Vaelastrasz. WoW needed more fights like that. Me personally, I liked managing threat as a DPS. Pushing yourself as hard and fast as you could go, while straddling the threat ceiling was one of the most interesting parts of being a good DPS. Otherwise you're just mashing nuke, without a care in the world.... and that's more boring.

From what you're saying though is that this type of gameplay is already gone, which is sad. It probably is an okay change for the current state of the game, but all that the change demonstrates for me is that the state of the game is no where even close to something I'd find interesting. The game is being dumbed down and made easier, plain and simple, and I find that more boring than watching a threat meter. It's one thing to cock-block people with stupid grinds, but a cock-block because of lack of skill is perfectly acceptable.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 am

From a DPS standpoint, I can see your enjoyment of threat mechanics. As a DPS, you got the fun of planning your threat dumps for the best time and then walk the edge of threat. As a tank though, threat was never complex or interesting. You couldn't gear for more threat. Bosses require max survivability. You couldn't watch omen to know when to make some more threat. You just pushed your buttons over and over again to the best of your ability.
Bye space sword!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

I feel like it's an issue that sounds a lot stupider on paper than in practice, for the reasons Sord mentiond. It flat out hasn't been a consideration for good tanks for what, years now? But gear is a huge part of it, basic math makes it so a poorly geared tank simply can not fill their role in the dungeon finder without the DPS needing to limit themselves. While I understand the argument that it cuts out strategy on the DPS end, it's clearly not how things are intended to be, and the reality of the situation is you end up with DPS that abandon groups because the tank at minimum ilvl for the dungeon can't hold threat, and eventually the group falls apart because shitty DPS doesn't cut it.

I personally don't think those players really need to be catered towards, but since the change doesn't effect me or any other decent tank in the first place, why would I complain? It's fixing a realistic issue for casual players, makes gearing up as a tank easier (because you can actually start as a tank, instead of go DPS and rely on getting carried), and literally has zero impact on the non-casual players who theorycraft and know what they're doing. Who loses?
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

Kiawah
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Kiawah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:14 am

Yeah, I'm not arguing that point. You could argue that threat hasn't mattered since WotLK. I can't think of a single fight in WotLK that favored one tank over another, when it came to threat (mitigation is another matter). There weren't any fights like Leothoras the Blind that favored one type of tank over another for a particular phase (like a warlock tank during the demon phase).

What's sad about this is that Blizzard has let the progression of their game reach this point. That you can remove such an important mechanic, and no one even notices. That's pathetic and extremely boring.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:36 am

As a hunter, my misdirect does not approve!
ImageImage

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

Misdirect still does the job its meant to do and that is glue adds onto a ranged target (usually your tank!)

The threat from MD and Tricks fade over time and have since the start of Cata. Which is kind of an odd choice now that you think about it. They were trying to make it so you couldn't just EZ mode threat via tricks/md and yet you could EZ mode threat anyway.

The reason there were no "lock tank" fights in Wrath and beyond is because of the 10 man raid. You just couldn't have an encounter that requires X class to defeat. Cata is funny in that regard because many of their early heroic 10 man encounters didn't necessarily "require" certain classes but were made a heck of a lot easier and were often the difference between victory and defeat. Of course for heroics, there is a certain amount of class stacking expected so I don't really think it was an issue. Though it was more of a "disc bubble is OP" rather than "need caster tank."
Bye space sword!

Return to “World of Warcraft”