The potential nail in the coffin...

General Phantasy Star Chat, Rants and the Kitchen Sink
Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

The potential nail in the coffin...

Postby Munki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:34 pm

So I've been reading an old site's forums (Pso World) for various new info and goings on in the PSU world for the last week.

And unfortunately I've finally had something confirmed that very well could end up being what makes me stop playing this game.

So it seems that the whole idea that rare weapons / armors will no longer drop, only boards to make them is true. There have been 3 rare weapon drops reported so far... er boards I mean. Flourecesent Bulb, Crea Saber, and Twin Crea sabers. And of course all 3 take some crazy amounts of rare hard to get materials to make (some of them are even 'rares' in their own rights, like Relic Edges are an 11* rare from the Relic Ruins boss).

And of course, they have a low synth percentage, just like a B rank weapon would.

In the end, the thing I found fun in terms of character development in PSO was finding cool new weapons to play with. It's the driving force that kept most of us going I think. The fact that rares in this are a bitch to find, and then when you DO find them, you have a pretty hefty percentage (Someone posted a screenie of a 60% success rate with Twin Crea Sabers) to FAIL crafting said item... I just don't think I like that. Couple that with the fact these boards have a Production amount of 1 / 1 (of course... I wouldn't expect it to be able to make multiple) and I just see a recipie for frustration.

I just can't imagine how frustrated I would be to have farmed up (or spent a huge amount of money) synth materials for a board drop that is incredibly rare and have it fail on me.
Space for Rent

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Like I've said in relation to EQ2, I don't like a crafting system when there's a percentage chance entirely out of the user's control that crafting materials will be consumed with no reward. It seems completely silly. And it's disappointing that a fun rare weapon in PSU is going to be made up of multiple rare items that each have to be found.

Oh well. I'll at least wait until I see all the game content before I write PSU off. This game is still entertaining enough that I can see playing it now and again over the next month or two.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:43 pm

I think your complaint might be premature. I saw that thread on pso-world too, and I disagree on how hard that will be to make.

First of all, it's an A-rank item that can't even be used yet. The only reason the materials look rare is because they're from missions that we aren't high enough level to do. The metal is probably a common enough drop, and the gems and wood will likely be convertable by the time you can even equip the sabers. Despite that, I actually have a third of the gems and wood it takes the craft!

The screenshot shows a 63% success rate on a base partner machine. At level 100, I imagine that number will be very close to 100%. That base percentage is even better than the standard B-rank weapons, which makes me think rares generally have bonuses to make them easier to craft, not harder.

There are plenty of good reasons to stop playing this game, but the crafting system isn't one of them. :)
Ras, Human Priest of Ner'zhul, retired

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Jae » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Haha wanting to stop playing PSU because of Crea Saber crafting mats is like wanting to quit PSO because you just can't get that 9-star Cross Scar to drop in V-Hard.

What Ras said. Evolve your partner machine. Success rate goes up when you evolve it. It's similar to raising a MAG.

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:05 pm

I'm just not sold on the games crafting system. It just doesn't have that same feeling of gratification when I am just doing runs over and over for crafting mats. There is just something a whole lot cooler about picking up an item on the ground called an Agito instead of picking up Megonite.

Some of the rare items DO require rare crafting materials. The Claire weapons come to mind (which require Relic Edges as far as I read).

I'm not exactly writing it off yet... I only said this was the potential nail in the coffin. I just find that having a chance to fail on an item that is a rare drop is retarded. Especially if you throw in the fact that Ginding said weapon will ALSO have a chance to destroy it. I am just not a fan of a system in game that will destroy items which are rewards for grinding for rare items.

Maybe it will be a lot better than I'm thinking, who knows. All I know is that in reading about it, combined with my own expiriences (yay, failing a "No chance of Failure" grind to loose my 45% light Brass Knuckles!) it just sounds frustrating.

/edit/ :( Sadly I just got my PM to Production level 20. Striking 18, Technic 2. And my Rank B daggers still have an amazing 61% to craft ><
Space for Rent

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:17 pm

I still can't believe you failed a "no chance of failure" grind. That has to be a bug.

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 pm

It frustrated the hell out of me, that's for sure. THe only thing I can think of is that "No chance of Failure" is 99% success or something.

I wish they would just give us the success rate instead of a vague term ^_^;
Space for Rent

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:34 pm

I want to know if "very high" is a set percentage, like 85%, or a range like 75-99%. If it's the former, people will eventually figure it out, which eliminates the purpose of obscurity; however, people will also create tables to match any ranges, it'll just take a bit longer to figure out. It seems strange that synthing gives you exact chances and grinding doesn't.

http://psupedia.org/index.php?title=Weapon_Grinding has nice tables, but it's important to know if a +1 grinder and a +10 grinder are actually different chances if they're both listed as "very high" for the same level.

Munki

Postby Munki » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:43 pm

And sadly, I've now destroyed my 6th Brass Knuckle in grinding :( I JUST WANT IT TO +4 DAMNIT :(

I'm gonna be pissed if they put too much stock in your current "Luck Level". That would be frustrating to have to wait around for whatever day is my 'lucky day' to actually do any crafting / grinding :/

Ugh. I'm just getting frustrated with failure after failure. I know they want you to just grind more and the more you fail the more you have to grind if you want to succeed but this is getting frustrating.
Space for Rent

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:12 pm

Why don't you just make an alt that's lucky today and have him/her grind it for your main?

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Hooters gonna hoot.
Games: Your mom.

Postby Kyecsrai » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I have the Fluorescent Bulb board. WTB temple runs for the Inverter Circuit. :razz:

It sounds to me like you've just had a string of really, really, really shitty luck. Not to rub it in (okay maybe just a little) but my only failure so far was on my first attempt to craft a 5* mech gun.

Why don't you just make an alt that's lucky today and have him/her grind it for your main?

Excellent idea.
Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Ok, I'm still lost as to who is who in the game.

Kyecsrai = Nadir?

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Kyecsrai » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:26 pm

Correct, sir.

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Shops rock btw. I've got a spreadsheet of my prices and keeping tabs on stuff. I'm so loaded now. :)

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster

Postby Kyecsrai » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:52 pm

Haha yeah I just opened mine up this morning. I'm still poking around other people's shops to get a feel for the market yet so I don't have much of anything up yet though.

Ghen
Bilge Water
Bilge Water

Postby Ghen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 am

I'm not quite sure I like the crafting system either. I have heard that there are actual rare drop weapons and armor, but I may have just been hitting the bong too hard.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Jae » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:31 am

Haha one time I popped into some guy's shop looking for ray-photons and he was actually behind the counter greeting people. THINK OF THE RP OPPORTUNITIES MUNKI.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 am

MAYBE IF YOU MANGINAS FLIRT YOU COULD GET A DISCOUNT!!

A/S/L?

I WILL BE UR GF 4 RAY-PHOTON!!

Return to “Phantasy Star Online & Universe”