PSU item crafting materials

General Phantasy Star Chat, Rants and the Kitchen Sink
ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PSU item crafting materials

Postby ShadowDrgn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:19 pm

Post what kind of materials you need for crafting so we can trade items and be on the lookout for good deals from player stores.

I actually failed the 5 star rod all three times. 8% chance of that happening, damn my luck. If anyone has Neu Wood/Ash or Marseline lying around, that'd be great. Marseline is 1200 from vendors and nearly impossible to find otherwise; the Neu Ash is worth 750 and is only hard to find because Neudaiz is a ghost planet. If you see Neu Ash for 500 or less in a store, buy me a few. :)

Tips I've discovered:
Never buy the 800 meseta metals or ash. You can convert 4x 100 meseta metals to an 800 one, and you can convert 5x 150 meseta wood into the 1000 meseta ash.

Ore conversion sucks.

Making grinders: buy the grinder boards from the colony synthesis shop: they're really cheap. You'll find dozens of C-grade base grinders that you can use for 3 star weapons, or you can buy the base grinder items from the same shop. It's an easy and cheap upgrade that's also easy to miss out on. Weapons can be grinded up to 10 times, though going past 5 or so is dangerous. The shopkeeper will tell you what the chance of success is before you commit - I wouldn't grind if it's less than "very high." The game's luck system (sparkles by your name) also helps your grinding chance. You can grind C-grade weapons a few times with 100% success rate, which is a cheap 10% or so to your total damage.

http://psupedia.org has a ton of good information on partner machines and crafting, and links to a Japanese wiki with even better information.
Last edited by ShadowDrgn on Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ras, Human Priest of Ner'zhul, retired

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:58 pm

I honestly had no idea how easy / cheap this was for how damn usefull it is. I had 10 Grinder C's in my bank so I got two of my weapons to +5.

Speaking of that, when you craft the actual Grinder piece, how is the +success number determined? I'm assuming random as I got +1s +3s and 5 +5s.
Space for Rent

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 pm

The higher you grind an item, the better the grinding bonus. Someone's 3star rod grinded to 8 was better than my 5star grinded to 1.

0->1 and 1->2 were an 11 point upgrade to tech each, but 2->3 was +17. Taking a C-rank weapon up really high is probably a ton better than buying B-rank weapons right now.

Ok, I did some more testing on this and I was right. I took the 2000 meseta C-rank bow and grinded it up to 6. The difference? 209 ATT -> 386 ATT! I doubled its attack power with 1000 meseta in grinders (actually cheaper since I had C bases lying around). The upgrade path went +20, +20, +33, +40, +40, +24. This kicks the shit out of the 8600 meseta B-rank bow, and I can't even use that one because I don't have enough Acc.

It looks like there are diminishing returns past 5 so I wouldn't recommend going to 6. Even with no luck and the worst grinders possible, you can get to 4 with all "Very High" probability. I haven't failed a single one of those yet, and I'm the guy that failed three 56% synths in a row. :) Getting to 4 is an enormous boost to your damage, is extremely cheap, and safe.

Summary: Buy 3 star weapons (crafted ones from personal shops preferably), grind to 4 or 5, screw buying B-rank weapons.

I do have my 5 star Hajirod at (3) now; I was too afraid to bring it any higher without a good B grinder. Maybe next time good luck rolls around to male neumen. It also appears that B-rank weapons get smaller benefits from grinding. The C-rank staff got +14 at the start, whereas the B-rank ones were only +11.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Jae » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:01 am

Have you guys looked into evolving your partner machinery yet? The rate of craft goes up and eventually they evolve into a humanoid form which can fight alongside you. Supposedly they kick ass and self-rez too.

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 am

I figured out why no one's selling Megaline. It takes 6 nanocarbons, which will set you back 12k minimum, and even if your PM is 100 armor, you'll probably only have a 75% chance to craft it. Trying to craft that and sell at a profit for less than 18k is ridiculous.

The 5 star armors look even worse, except for the fact that NPCs don't sell them (yet). Cresline is like 15 nanocarbon, 37% base chance? Probably get that up to 66% chance at max, and the material cost is around 35k. Is anyone really going to pay 55k+ for a minor upgrade, especially when it seems like armor doesn't do shit? In the next update, it's 45k from the vendor too. Unless nanocarbon prices drop significantly, that's never going to be profitable. The Japanese version right now has 7 star armor from NPCs for 210k! And there are even 8 star armors you can craft.... probably for a million meseta.

I'm very pleased with the state of weapon crafting, but armor seems like a losing proposition.

Kyecsrai
Quartermaster
Quartermaster
Custom Rank: Hooters gonna hoot.
Games: Your mom.

Postby Kyecsrai » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:13 am

Nothing like trying to grind a Hajirod to +3 and watching it explode.

Very High chance of success my ass.
Better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:51 pm

I like canes a lot more than rods now. The damage is practically the same and they shoot at 1.6 seconds instead of 2.0 seconds. The only downside is the limited PP...

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:08 am

ShadowDrgn wrote:The only downside is the limited PP...

But you've gotten used to having a small PP by now, right?

ZOMG TROLLING!!

Return to “Phantasy Star Online & Universe”