General Phantasy Star Chat, Rants and the Kitchen Sink
Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Best Defense Card

Postby Phat.Stack » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:51 am

Hi all,

I've been hunting for a great defense card to put into my Gykild deck, and have run into a bit of a problem.

I already have 2 resists in the deck (the +10 HP 4 cost card that can block both physical and tech cards)

I have room for 2 or 3 defense cards and am unsure what to put in.

I have considered: Pierce Guard, Rampage Guard, and Guard (but thats the one Im least prone to put in).

Basically I need something that has a 2 or 3 (max) cost, and is geared to protect equipment or the SC.

The deck is structured to on have 2 items out at a time, so normal Major Rampage or Pierce wont be a problem. Of course with his low HP, Gykild always has to worry about a Penetrate attack card.

Also, if you have a favorite Defense card that wouldnt be good ina Gykild deck, feel free to post it too, Id love to learn what people are seeing played or play themselves.

Any suggestions or further questions will be appreciated!

Sim
Post Whore
Post Whore
Custom Rank: Lost In Translation

Postby Sim » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm

Not what I would call a uber def card but have you thought at all about TP Defense? It works well against many things. It's not an end all def card but it can really do wonders.

And for a cost of only 2 it might fit.

I will look around some more in my cards later, I am off to see Kill Bill Vol 2 again.

Jae
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Jae » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:40 pm

What are your other defense cards? Are you using any GN Guard?

I don't have a favorite, but I will agree with Sim and say that TP Defense has proven to be very handy in many cases. It if doesn't block the damage entirely, it'll usually block a good portion of it since most attacking creatures and/or hunters aren't balanced in their AP and TP.

I always have a sore spot with Denial since Sim waxed me with that card once upon a time. You need to have a decent Dice Exp bonus built up to use it, but it does block both tech and physical damage if you're willing to sacrifice your Dice Exp bonus.

Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Future Goblin

Postby Jase » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Defense cards what are those again?
-Jase out

:arch: Archangel lvl 143

Sim
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Sim » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:57 pm

Jae wrote:What are your other defense cards? Are you using any GN Guard?

You know after thinking about this for a while I would say as long as you are running Guykild all gun that GN Guard should replace your resist def cards. GN Guard stops both tech and physical damage and it will stop it all.

And since it costs the same as the Resist I can not see a reason not use it unless you are running some none GN items.

Just my 2 cents :)

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:56 pm

Im not running a strict gun Gykild deck.

I initially put in Punch Guards, as they cost 2, and subtract 3 from a rampage attack (as rampage kills a gykild deck)

But Im still very worried about pierce attacks. Unfortunately, at a 3 cost and only blocking 2, it dosent work very well in my deck. I think the Weaknesses that I have in the deck should mostly protect me from pierces, as most pierce items/creatures are attack AC unable, and the Penetrate card itself costs 4, so it unlikely that anyone would be able to create attack strings big enough to warrant a pierce specific defense card.

TP defense worries me. It works great on my deck... but Ive played against a lot of Forces and Sil'fers that use Twin Psycocannon. Against both of those, TP defense wouldnt work at all. Also against Arcz, most creatures do have a decent TP in addition to their AP (at least all the ones I look at and like... the difference between a 9 AP and a 7 TP isnt enough to make TP defense good).

TP defense just seems to be too specific to make me want it. As tourneys can be up to 16 people (or are their 32 now?) it stands to reason that you might bery well face one of these decks at least once.

So I dont think Id put TP Defense into any of my decks... but I did look at it really hard after I saw how good it was against my deck :)

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:26 pm

Companion rocks as a "defense" card for Gykild

Im definitely having 3 of those in this deck!

Sim
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Sim » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:30 pm

Yes Companion does rock with him. I have become real fond of Avert over the past couple of days. It works vs techs and physical attacks. And it's only drawback is that it does not help with things that cost more then 3 to put out.

But with most decks I see thats not a big issue.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:10 pm

Avert is nice... but unless the wording is changed it only protects cards that cost 1 or 2, so 3 cost cards arent protected.

It is good since most 1 or 2 cost cards have such low HP that they cant afford to lose even 1 HP... but if I recal right, one time I used an Avert against a weapon that had TP Power, and the TP Power damage still went through (I had a Dagger equipped, and I got hit buy a cane with TP Power... the attack still did 2 or 3 damage to me and destroyed the dagger).

If anyone else knows if this is true, let me know.

Weakness is another decent defense card... better if an action distuptor card is attacked.

Hmmm... one of the tougher attacks to defend against is a Kranz/Sil'fer with 1 or 2 Twin Psychoguns.

No TP defense, Weakness doesnt block it all, if Avert dosent block TP Power, then it cant block that... the good thing is that with Sil'fer its "Companion Bait" (it does as much damage as its HP, so you can destroy it in 1 turn with a companion).

Other than that tiny disadvantage... the Twin Psychogun is a tough card.

Anyone have any ideas on how to defend from it?

Sim
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Sim » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:13 pm

Avert = Anything that attacks you with that COST less then 4 to put out has it's AP dropped by 5. At least thats the way I understand it.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:19 pm

Either its wording has changed, or we are thinking of 2 different cards.

Avert = If used by a 1 or 2 cost card, damage is negated

Yup... I just checked PSO World

Which card are you talking about? It sounds like a very good defense card depending on the cost... if you can find out its name let me know

Sim
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Sim » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Talking about the same card I just wonder who is right. I will check how it works more later when I get on.

Right now I am headed out to take the kid to play.

Return to “Phantasy Star Online & Universe”