Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
dyc0n
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Custom Rank: drunken pirate-ninja

Postby dyc0n » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 am

Wow is my first RPG ( not my first attempt, but my first love )
Ive always thought the card games looked fun- whether it be magic or what have you. The WoW TCG looks like a lot of fun and something that could become rather addicting. I have the starter ( booster?) set that came with the burning crusades collectors edition, but thats it. Can I start with just that? Is there another set that I should get or a good site on the internet to learn what I need/how to play ?
Thanks for the advice,
Nodagamera- Lvl 62 mage
Formally of Bleeding Hollow

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:22 am

Awesome, I was going to post about the CE cards and ask if anyone was going to get into the game that received those packs.

Yes, you can play with what you have. The CE came with two starter decks in addition to the foiled exclusive cards. It also has the rule book (as I'm sure you noticed) and a quick rule sequence card.

I *believe* the starter decks were wrapped individually so the cards wouldn't get messed up. And I *know* that at least some of the starter decks are the exact same ones you get when you buy a boxed starter set in stores (I know this because, as my luck would have it, one of my CE starters was identical to one of my boxed starters).

The starter decks are not random, which means each deck has all the cards you need to play. The beauty of the CE is that since it comes with two starters, you'll be able to play with someone else right off the bat!

Phat.Stack is going to be a much better reference for learning to play and external sites. Pour over the rule book. It'll be hard to pick up at first since it's your first card game, I think. At least for me, most of the rules were only easy to pick up because I could say "oh, that's just like Magic" or "oh hey, that reminds me of Avatar." One tip for reading the rule book is to latch on to key words like resources, graveyard, hero, item, etc. because they use (as far as I can tell) consistent terminology so undertsnading the basics of what those mean as you read will make things less confusing.

Actually, I think the best way to learn is to get another friend that's interested, let him read the rule book, and then try to play a game with the rule book handy. Firebrand and I played that way, and the first game went very slow because we'd have lots of questions but since they'd arrive in the context of the game, it made looking things up easy. Our next game went a lot quicker because we found most of our burning Cruquestionsade were answered in that first match.

A downside to the starter decks is that some are obviously better constructed than others. For example, one boxed starter I got was a rogue deck that had only like two items (despite rogues being item heavy), I think two combo builders (rogues get combo points!), and no finishers.

Either way though, the game is fun. Anybody that got a CE should try to check it out if you can. Just be warned it can be very expensive to get into hardcore.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

dyc0n
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Custom Rank: drunken pirate-ninja

Postby dyc0n » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 pm

thanks for the tip-
Knowing I can play with what I have now is a plus. A guy I work with and I were going to start playing. He used to be a big D&D guy back in the day. You all know him as Grandar. I'll let you know how it comes along,
Dyc0n
Nodagamera- Lvl 62 mage

Formally of Bleeding Hollow

Return to “Trading Card Games”