wow TCG site live

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:05 pm

WoW TCG comes out tomorrow.

Ill be picking up my pre-order in the morning and tooling around with it all day.

If people are interested, I can post my impressions.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:11 pm

Imma look for it at EB, I think they might actually get some in. Unless elendril wants to send me a free deck or ten...
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Don't Laugh. It works.

Postby elendril » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:26 am

happy release day! :)
Elendril
60 Hunter Ner'zhul

asharpton
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: dissapears

Postby asharpton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:42 pm

elendril wrote:happy release day! :)

hey elendril - how rare are the ingame item cards? more specificallly.. the turtle mount card. I need one for everyone of my 60's :)
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH :)

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:50 pm

the tabards are, i believe, 1 per 2 boxes. pets are 1 per case. mounts are 1 per 2 cases. obviously this is all an average distribution.

but i opened up a pet in my draft this morning!
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:46 pm

My friend Angelo opened a Mount today!!!!! I couldn't believe it, it was the third starter set out of the first case.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:16 am

I bought two booster boxes and got a tabbard and a pet! Hello eBay!

Unfortunately, even uncommons are difficult to get a full 4 playing set, let alone rares. Secondary market seems to be blooming, and Im trying to get in on the ground level to make a couple decks.

So far, Im looking at an Ally Warlock deck and a Pally deck.

Warriors seem to kick ass, but I don't like how weapon dependent they are (especially since you could theoretically sideboard in a LOT of weapon/armor destruction in a tourney).

Id also like to make an UD Rouge deck, but Ill focus on my first two and go from there.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:27 am

the first article in my weekly column is up :)

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/ ... x?aid=1325
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:03 pm

I didn't get to buy ANY. Like I got in at 5pm on the first day of sales and they were completely sold out. I was going to buy 2 booster boxes and 2 starters, keep 1 of each and ebay the other two.

I actually really dislike how UDE does their card runs. Apparently they do it with YuGiOh also. Once a run goes out they don't print it again. There's no "Cycle". At least with Magic cards are always available. THey'll print as many booster boxes as they can sell till the set cycles out.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Marcallo wrote:I didn't get to buy ANY. Like I got in at 5pm on the first day of sales and they were completely sold out. I was going to buy 2 booster boxes and 2 starters, keep 1 of each and ebay the other two.

I actually really dislike how UDE does their card runs. Apparently they do it with YuGiOh also. Once a run goes out they don't print it again. There's no "Cycle". At least with Magic cards are always available. THey'll print as many booster boxes as they can sell till the set cycles out.

this isn't true. we have multiple waves of product and reprints if necessary. demand for the game far exceeded our expectations, so the supply wasn't sufficient to meet it. there will be more product getting into the system in the next few weeks.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:56 pm

And magic only had cycles for a short period of time with popular cards only re-appearing in editions.

scottanime
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Custom Rank: Anime Guru

Postby scottanime » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 am

I got to go to a demo tourny this weekend.
Got a box, had lots of way neat stuff in it. Be makeing my Mage deck soon.

I got 5th place in the tournamnet which wasnt bad since its the first time in maybe 5 years that I've picked up a trading card game....

But everything worked out, I traded a guy who also got a box who got his second turtle mount!! Got it on a really good deal too :) So now I am cruiseing around Ironforge in my ubber swift mount watching everyone stare in awe at it :)

Good job UDE on a great game.

Although I should be paid for the publicity I give you riding that thing around IF, I get about 8 tells per minute about it, and I tell them all exactly how to get one of their own.

Top questions asked

1. Where did you get that
2. How fast does it go
3. Where can I buy cards at
4. Can you walk around a bit so I can see
5. Is the game hard to play
6. Can only one of your characters have it
7. Did you win it or buy it
8. Can I ride it
9. Can you link it to me
10. Can I have 5 gold
Scottanime

-You Can't take the sky from me

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 am

I also went to one of the celebration tourneys over the weekend. It was very small (about 10 people) and I managed to win.

Got one of the new play mats, a dice bag, and a full set of 4 extended art Parvinks.

All in all, I had a great time. There were people who played the MMO and people who didnt, people who were tourney pros and people who had never played a card game in their life.

The comic store that hosted the tournament is planning weekly tourneys which I plan to support.

The WoW TCG is just an awesome game. I really hope it ends up having the lasting power of games like Magic.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Daltos wrote:And magic only had cycles for a short period of time with popular cards only re-appearing in editions.

Ummm.... Magic has always and will always have CYCLES. It's how they keep Extended and Vintage from mixing with Limited. So again you say things and have no idea what you speak. For example, the Time Spiral Cycle just came in, and the Kamigawa cycle just went out. Same as the Ravnica Cycle which is now the Oldest newest cycle replaced the Mirrodin Cycle. As to "core" that comes out every two cycles. So 10th edition is coming out in approximately 6 months and will most likey include cards from Kamigawa and Mirrodin.

Anyway as to Elendril, my friends distributor told them that they have no more of the 24 pack boxes and that they will never be available again. And that the starter sets were limited and also not coming out. He said the same thing happens with YuGiOh. How it's possable my friend that's in the industry is so wrong I don't know, but I think I'll take YOUR word for it. :D

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Oh well theres cycles as in the blocs of cards, the original and the two expansions. Im talking about how you won't see any re-prints of Ice Age or Antiquities anytime soon.

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm

The guy who runs the comic shop I went to said that he was getting more WoW TCG in on or around mid to late november. That was UDE's second run of the HoA set.

I've been into and gotten out of Magic many times, and I feel that the WoW TCG corrects MANY of the problems I have with Magic's system. WoW's resource management (any card in your hand can be a resource), draw options (many draw cards are able to be used by every deck via Quest cards instead of specific color-only cards), the stack's complexity vs. the chain's simplicity (many events that go on Magic's "stack" just don't hit WoW's "chain" making things like combat go much faster), a penalty-less mulligan being standard in the rule set (leading to more real games and less being determined by things like getting "mana screwed"), and even the art (WoW is the first TCG Im actually putting in a display binder instead of plain white card boxes) are all awesome improvements over Magic.
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:36 pm

we're just totally awesome like that.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

nedru
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby nedru » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Went by the card shop today and picked up the last starter set they had as well as 3 additional packs of cards for my boys. I assume elendril is fairly common as he fell in one of the additional packs. Looks like an interesting game for WOW fans.

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:48 pm

I got my packs yesterday. A couple starters so I could just pick up and play with people, and a few boosters. Didn't get Elendril, but I got Fury baby!

I only got to play two games with Firegimpe, one of which was a "we only glossed over the rules so we're gonna have to look up everything while we play" game. He destroyed me the first game, I destroyed him the second, w00t.

The game is pretty fun. The main weakness we saw seemed more to do with how we played the game and how the starter decks were built than actually being problems with the mechanics.

For one, we both played more like it was a lengthy game of Magic instead of a quick paced card game. This lead to us both getting pretty damn powerful and then just wiping the other person out, instead of actually having any battles.

Second, and falling kind of in the same vein, was the deck Kallifool used was a gnome rogue deck with virtually zero Protectors. Considering it's the attacker that decides what targets are being attacked (and the defender can only intervene with an ally that has Protector), this meant that in our heavily built game I was just able to attack with the four or five allies I had out and just aim square for his hero. But like I said, I think it's more because of the way the deck is built (it looks like it's meant for quick and deadly damage as a rogue should be, and not a drawn out battle). On the flip side, in that game my allied Druid deck had multiple Protector allies (including a pair of the 1-cost 1/1 Elusive Protector that works so well as a meat shield) out and he couldn't do much to break through the fodder I threw in front of him.

The art is way excellent. I feel like I bought a lot of cards for not knowing if I'd like the game, but with them apparently being hard to find now, I wish I had bought more boosters. I love just going through some of the cards and looking at the cool picture or how the card game implemented a particular ability like Gouge.

So, after all that, I'm curious about something. Maybe it was covered before, but does anyone know much about the raid deck stuff? I assume elendril does, I'm not sure what's been officially previewed. Are all of the Onyxia cards exclusive to her, so it's basically like getting a preconstructed deck you can't add to? How many players does it normally take to kill her, or does it scale based on opponents? Are the "treasure cards" random within the decks, so I'd be forced to buy individual cards or many, many raid decks in order to collect them all? Does she drop phat purpz? Will there be Onyxia boosters? After my third time killing her, am I allowed to DE stuff because even though the rogue in my group needs it, he's not at the DKP bidding minimum?
"Classic Wedge"

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 pm

the full card list of the onyxia raid deck is available in the latest issue of inquest.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:00 pm

PopnFresh wrote:including a pair of the 1-cost 1/1 Elusive Protector that works so well as a meat shield

I love those guys. They are so clean and straight to the point in effectiveness.

I was just glad that during the sealed deck tourney I was a mage, so when I saw those hit the field I just didn't care

/fireball opposing hero

Im still changing my mind on which deck I want as a constructed deck. I started out thinking I'd make a warlock deck, then I switched to a mage deck, and now I think I want a rogue deck.

Luckily, my Lazy Peon deck (commons and uncommons only for those who don't know) has settled on Shaman... so at least Ill have something to show for all my card crunching soon.

Glad to hear you liked the game Popnlame!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:02 pm

elendril wrote:the full card list of the onyxia raid deck is available in the latest issue of inquest.

Is the internet pirating magazines yet? Or am I never going to know what the damn cards are? :(
"Classic Wedge"

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:43 pm

While it doesn't have the Onyxia spoiler list, Ive been using:

http://wow.tcgplayer.com/db/cardsearch.asp

for all my online card research

Im sure there is an Ony spoiler out there on the internet somewhere. At the very worst, you might have to wait until the Inquest is released for a site like the one above to copy it into their database.

ZOMFG WHERE IS OUR WoW TCG FORUM!! THERE IS DEMAND!!!

Metostopholes
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Kawaii desu ne!
Location: Not dead but dreaming in the cyclopean ruins of cyclopean R'lyeh

Postby Metostopholes » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Phat.Stack wrote:ZOMFG WHERE IS OUR WoW TCG FORUM!! THERE IS DEMAND!!!

I'm all for it, as long as it stops you from posting this stuff in the Wii thread. >:(

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Metostopholes wrote:I'm all for it, as long as it stops you from posting this stuff in the Wii thread. >:(

SUCK IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!

Return to “Trading Card Games”