wow TCG site live

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 am

Thinking a little more about this system, I think its only disadvantage right now is having to track a lot of different numbers.

Since damage doesnt automatically heal (but can be healed by cards/effects) you will have to keep track of every hero/ally's current HP total. These values (Id assume) will constantly be changing.

Almost makes it sound like you will need quite a few beads/dice for every game.

I know some decks with Magic had this same issue... but Im not sure how clunky this will make a playing field (i.e. beads and dice all over as opposed to people focusing on the cards themselves).

Also, portability is slightly diminished as you'll need to bring along enough tokens/dice to place on your playing field.

El, since you've played many games (and without giving away any other details), do you think that the reliance on beads/dice makes the games a little more clunky? Is the number of beads/dice used an issue or is the amount actually small in a real game? Lastly, do the beads/dice detract from the overall visual appeal of a game; does the play field end up looking scattered/disorganized? Is all the hard work that went into the art detracted from as beads/dice are placed on top of the cards, or is there a way around this that people in your office use (as simple as putting the dice to the side of the card)?

p.s. that last question might sound a bit retarded ("ZOMG just put the dice on the side") but what its really getting at is: "is there extra space on the field to even be able to put dice/beads anywhere other than the card itself or is there no extra space on the field due to normal card positioning (think Lot5R where you had to fight for room for your armies)".
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:54 pm

Uh, do what the magic guys did, use pennies. Pennies for your resources, dimes for your heros health, and nickels for anything else you might use.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:05 pm

Daltos wrote:Uh, do what the magic guys did, use pennies. Pennies for your resources, dimes for your heros health, and nickels for anything else you might use.

Agreed, or in my case you have a SACK of dice that can do any combination of health for any game you might EVER need to play. EVER. By the way is anyone actually buying this to play? Because both hobby shops I go to are only taking this on Special order and noone I talk to wants to play it. We're all just buying it for the artwork not to actually play....
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:54 pm

First, I wasnt looking for advice on WHAT to use as tokens. L2Readingcomprehension (something Daltos hears a lot around here :))

Ive played card games long enough to have my own supply of beads/dice to use.

My questions pertain to the seemingly large amounts of beads/dice that a WoW game will require and how that affects the play area both from a practical standpoint (not enough room to lay out cards) as well as from an aesthetic view (how the playing field looks to an onlooker as well as the player... cluttered or not).

Whether or not El can actually answer this question before Gen Con is still up in the air (not sure if even a question as vague as "playing field appearance" is off limits).

Second, to address Marcallo's question, I will most DEFINITELY be playing this game. Like El said, it looks like theyI've taken the best aspects of other card games and rolled them into a great looking system. Even if I have to drive up to a comic shop to participate in games, Ill be playing this game as well as collecting.
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:26 pm

I just wonder how many people will be, I mean the VS. system if it's the one that the Penny-Arcade game and the Street Fighter game are on isn't all that fantastic and like I said I don't know ANYONE buying this game to play it. Other than a few people from here. I posted this question on my other guilds forum a long time ago and the answer was that noone was interested in CCG's. Though I will say that MTG is making a HUGE comeback recently.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:08 am

Danny wrote:It's the card game equivalent of something to do with your character when you're not PvP'ing.

I love that line.

Also, while I think you have a point Marc, I think that's what will end up getting people to play (buying the cards for the art in the first place).

Personally, I was in the same boat. I probably say as much in this thread that I knew I was going to buy the game for the art and the WoW connections but wasn't sure if I'd play it. I'm thinking I will as I'm seeing these previews that are being posted that explain actual mechanics.

How many people that you've asked have actually looked into the game mechanics before making that call? Granted, some people will buy the cards and not even look to see if the game is fun if they're really in it strictly for the art. But I think a lot of people that buy it just for the eye candy (and at the very least a LOT of WoW fans have said they'll do as much) are going to play a game or two just to try it out. If the game turns out fun, then that's a damn fine way to build up your player base.
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Don't Laugh. It works.

Postby elendril » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:19 pm

the full rules should be up on the site within the next few days

my leeroy preview went up today :)

as for the dice/counter issue - guys tend to die pretty regularly, so it's only in specific matchups (ones with lots of large protectors) that there's a bunch of guys in play with damage on them. at the office we generally use dice and only use a handful or so in a game. it's no clunkier than a game of magic with a few token creatures in play.
Elendril
60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Daltos
Captain
Captain

Postby Daltos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 pm

Well the reason MTG is coming back so hard is the release of coldsnap. The ice age expansion and novel series was the most popular and best selling books and cards that theyI've ever had. Coldsnap is the "real" ending to the ice age saga even though its story line makes absolutely no sense or connection to the first two novels and basically makes reading the shattered alliance useless.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:51 pm

Daltos wrote:Well the reason MTG is coming back so hard is the release of coldsnap. The ice age expansion and novel series was the most popular and best selling books and cards that theyI've ever had. Coldsnap is the "real" ending to the ice age saga even though its story line makes absolutely no sense or connection to the first two novels and basically makes reading the shattered alliance useless.

people actually like cold snap?

iI've heard pretty much universally negative things about the set.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 am

Says the competition. LOL

I was talking toa guy yesterday about the WoW game and I think we're both buying boxes and going to try it out.

But the Chthulu Clix game is coming out soon also!!!!! What to do, what to do.... :D

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:45 am

The Leeroy card was hilarious.

Love him or hate him, he's definitely a part of the WoW culture.

Its also good to hear that the tokens/dice cycle out of the game relatively quickly.

Waiting to see the full rules, and then its just a matter of time before this comes out!

How is the atmosphere around the office now, El?

Daltos
Captain
Captain

Postby Daltos » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 am

people actually like cold snap?

iI've heard pretty much universally negative things about the set.

Im not entirely sure they love it, but I know they're buying it. I dont know what the design boys were thinking when they left out the orders, Jaya Ballard, Jodah, the major cities, and stromgald warriors from the set and replaced them with Haakon and the Rhinewind.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:44 am

Hey El, I was asked to look into Prize Support for the game by my buddies that own the game store. What kind are you guys going to be having? Because I couldn't find anything on the website to sign them up. Wizkids, Wizards, and I think even YuGiOh are all pretty precise, but since the game isn't out yet I'm guessing there's nothing official, just curious what to expect.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am

full rules should be up on our website within the week. we're pretty excited about it here, and there's something of a flurry of activity around the office about how to handle the next couple months until release. the feedback we got was almost universally positive, so i'm pretty happy.

as to OP stuff marc mentioned - we'll definitely have hobby league-style play with prize support. the exact details are still TBD (as far as i know, at least), but if you want to drop me a PM i can give you the email contacts for who to get in touch with for details.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 am

That's awesome, company sponsored Incentives to run drafts are a major driver of sales. I know Wizkids products sell a lot more on Prize weekends where there are unique mechs up for grabs or one of a kind pilot cards to the winner. The "Battlemasters" get nice bonuses too which is why I quickly agreed to help run the stuff in hopes that you guys will do the same thing. :D

asharpton
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: dissapears

Postby asharpton » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:19 pm

will there be an opportunity to buy stuff too at gencon socal?

how was gencon indy =P etc. Game cards look pretty nice. Get me some UR's, foiles or something.
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH :)

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 am

rules are posted!

there will be product on sale at gencon socal - the game is being released a month and a half or so (i think?) beforehand. also, socal will be the first showing of the onyxia raid deck.

indy was a lot of fun - had a blast demoing people all weekend, since the response we got was amazing.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 am

Just opened up the rules PDF file and what do I see on the 4th page?

Elendril - Hero - Night Elf Hunter card

If that's not a perk of developing the game, I dont know what is!

:)

/edit hahaha and on page 12, sure enough, is Fury!

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 pm

Don't miss "Special thanks - Lost Anarchy" :D
Ras, Human Priest of Ner'zhul, retired

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:55 am

As a small point, I really like that the rules for mulligans (or mulligan - singular - as is the case) are in the base rules.

I always hated trying to explain tourney mulligan mechanics to my friends. They thought I was just making shit up to win.

Now its set in the very first rulebook for WoW.

Im contacting my local card game distributor to make sure he knows about this game and to place my order through him. Hopefully get a tourney scene moving a little quicker here.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:08 am

Phat.Stack wrote:Im contacting my local card game distributor to make sure he knows about this game and to place my order through him. Hopefully get a tourney scene moving a little quicker here.

good to hear :)

our first print run is based entirely off preorders, so the game WILL sell out :-P the number of pre-orders we got actually doubled after gen con, too. apparently people liked what they saw :)
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:44 am

I know my buddy is ordering FOUR entire booster boxes. LOL They don't have much confidence in this game at allllll. Only 3 of us have comitted to buying it so far.

And what sucks is, in January Magic is releasing core set 10 and everyone is saving up money for that. I know you are against them but you have to give it to wizards they know how to make the money roll in. I'm even going to be buying a booster box of core 10 so I can play with my friends who have all gotten into it again.

ZombieRitual
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby ZombieRitual » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 pm

No thanks for Grog? Zomg! Truth be told, I won't be buying this, but it's not because this isn't a good card game, it's because these kind of card games aren't necessarily my thing. That, and I have to save money for books and beer these next two semesters!
http://ctprofiles.net/1496866

Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore
Taste the zombie's drug, now you want more
Drifting from the living, joining with the dead
Zombie dwelling maggots, now infest your head

Zombie Ritual, Zombie Ritual
Zombie Ritual, Zombie Ritual

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:50 pm

Well, I just realized Im REALLY behind on the news thats been posted for the WoW TCG.

/proceeds to read the new stuff

Well, I like everything that Ive seen.

I like your last article, btw El. WeI've even heard some of those viewpoints in the past on our forum, so it was entertaining to see them again in a much larger venue.

Ill be keeping an eye on the previews (can't wait to see Paladin and Warlock cards) while I wait for this game to come out!

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Infernal should be up this afternoon. :)
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Return to “Trading Card Games”