wow TCG site live

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Don't Laugh. It works.

wow TCG site live

Postby elendril » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:34 am

hey all - just wanted to let you all know that the wow TCG site went live this week, complete with a bunch of art sneak peeks and an intro article by yours truly. i know some of you were eager for updates, so look no further ;)

www.ude.com/wow

if you have any questions/comments/whatever that i can answer (not "can i get free stuff?!"), let me know and i'll see what i can do ;)
Elendril
60 Hunter Ner'zhul

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Whatever Damon is, plus one.

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:12 am

Hot shit. I'll be poking around here later. Thanks you wacky CCG pro
Poppin' up fresh, every time!
"Classic Wedge"

dcazman
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Master of the obvious.
Games: PS4 games

Postby dcazman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:30 am

I am checking it out now. Looks hot. Right about duel masters levelish it seems and the art looks way better.
This space for rent , playing DOW and games on the PS3

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:35 am

Thanks for giving us the link Brian, as always, its been great to have you as a member of our board to give us information such as this as well as the opportunity to ask you questions about the game directly.

Im going to ask a question that has been kinda whispered about between me and some friends, but as such, have never come around to asking you:

Im skeptical about the "treasure cards" that come with a boss encounter. It seems to me that people will just buy boxes of those raid boss encounters, toss the boss card and rip open the treasure pack to keep it all for themselves.

Not that that's a bad thing, per se... but it makes it have a very "buy your way to the top" feel as opposed to the "kill the raid boss and get phat lewtz" feel that it seems like it should have.

Has this been a consideration in the development process (that people might just buy LOTS of copies of the raid boss encounter to "gear up" all their characters)?

Is there are REASON to actually complete the encounter instead of just taking the treasure(other than to pat yourself on the back)?

Are the raid boss encounters only available to people who go to the tournaments (and therefore you are able to control how many are distributed) or are they going to be sold side by side with starters and boosters?

Now, Im not naieve. It might be one hell of a money maker if people buy boxes of Onyxia encounters to gear up lots of decks. That's a good thing. I want a company that makes a great game to get lots of money. That's their reward for making a good game.

Im just worried about its implementation, if the possibility has been considered, and/or if there are checks against any kind of "gear disparity" between people who buy LOTS of the boss packs (just for the treasure) versus people who get together with a group of friends every week to actually COMPLETE the encounter.

This is my main concern so far.

Im very interested in the WoW TCG and have been looking forward to its release for some time. Everything about the game and its development has given me a lot of hope that this will be a great game.

Thanks again, and Im sure Ill hit you up with more questions later! :)

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:09 am

the R&D team for the wow TCG is very concerned about our player base, being longtime TCG players ourselves, and are strong advocates for ensuring that cards are sufficiently available so players don't have to go to extreme lengths just to play the game.

now, this doesn't mean that we have absolute control over the rarity scheme or distribution of cards, but it does mean that we push hard against anything that looks like a "smash-and-grab" attempt to force our players to buy excessive product.

the raid deck treasure packs will include cards that are unique to those packs at the time of release. in a lot of cases, these will be cards that are specifically tailored to support multiplayer/raid experiences - both so that serious tournament players who don't enjoy the more casual raid experience won't feel pressured into buying raid decks, and also because it's a natural place to put such things. there will also be cards that appeal to tournament players, but ultimately the raid decks will not be the only place to get these cards, so don't be afraid that people will have to buy a bunch of raid decks and crack the packs just to be able to play the decks they want.

does that answer your question? :)
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:27 am

It most certainly does :)

Thanks for the fast answer!

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:07 pm

I can already tell I'm going to have to be careful with this CCG. I'm going to want to have decks that I can play with that aren't heavily added to, so that I can play with anyone (I hate feeling as though I have a large advantage in an otherwise balanced competitive game; otherwise I'd use throws in CvS2). But I also think I'm going to be dropping cash just to collect the cards. I've done it with CCGs before, and I really like the WoW lore, so seeing the take some of those artists have on it is going to be a treat.
"Classic Wedge"

asharpton
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: dissapears

Postby asharpton » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:08 pm

elendril, you are a huge nerd.

that being said, when they get in stores i might buy a starter pack just to check it out even though i probably will never play the actual game ;)
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH :)

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:10 pm

I do actually have a question.

How does the whole character class thing work? I noticed in said the starters were tailored to one of the nine classes. Does that mean there will be a Shaman starter, Warrior starter, etc.? Or is it random? I didn't see a way to specify on the pre-order screen...
"Classic Wedge"

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 pm

PopnFresh wrote:I do actually have a question.

How does the whole character class thing work? I noticed in said the starters were tailored to one of the nine classes. Does that mean there will be a Shaman starter, Warrior starter, etc.? Or is it random? I didn't see a way to specify on the pre-order screen...

each starter will include a mini-preconstructed deck for one of the nine classes, two booster packs, and a pack of three oversized foil-treated hero cards. the actual class of the deck you get is random. they're intended as an actual starter product to ensure people have sufficient cards of one class to build a deck.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

PopnFresh
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby PopnFresh » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Awesome, I see where my confusion was. You're the man.
"Classic Wedge"

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm

You'll be happy to know I showed my hobby shop owning friends who don't deal with Upper Deck all that much with the exception of YuGiOh that website and they are going to be ordering me a case and getting a few more on Spec.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:42 pm

So, El...

How is the WoW TCG going to handle the new BE Pally and Draenei Shaman announcement?

Could this change to the game cause any difficulties with card combos (i.e. if there were "horde only" cards that were designed to be used with the shaman that a Draenei could not use)?

Also, what is your opinion on this announcement as well as the opinions floating around your office?

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm pissed. We're definently getting these cards at Modells but im quitting for college in a week. So, now I can't walk into a store, open a pack of cards, damage them out, then walk home with them for free.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:42 pm

Phat.Stack wrote:So, El...

How is the WoW TCG going to handle the new BE Pally and Draenei Shaman announcement?

Could this change to the game cause any difficulties with card combos (i.e. if there were "horde only" cards that were designed to be used with the shaman that a Draenei could not use)?

Also, what is your opinion on this announcement as well as the opinions floating around your office?

iI've known about the alliance shaman/horde paladin thing for a long time now - which has made discussing faction balance amusing :) the game was designed with this in mind :-P
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:17 am

elendril wrote:iI've known about the alliance shaman/horde paladin thing for a long time now - which has made discussing faction balance amusing :) the game was designed with this in mind :-P

Hahahaha... awesome.

What the fuck was I thinking? Of COURSE UDE would be made aware of significant changes that were comin down the pipeline.

Blizz wants the game to succeed just as much as you guys do.

Duh.

Eggnog
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Postby Eggnog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am

What I really want to know is when they are going to put out an online version? They could really make this into an EQ/DAoC style game pretty easily.
This space for rent.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:01 am

i actually know a ton of expansion information too, like lvl 70 skills and 41 point talents. /taunt

btw - http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/ ... px?aid=986 for part 1 of the interview with me ! :)
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Daltos
Captain
Captain

Postby Daltos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:43 am

You played dota a lot eh. I've always wanted to go into cal dota.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 am

Daltos wrote:You played dota a lot eh. I've always wanted to go into cal dota.

between when we put BWL on farm and AQ came out i spent most of my free time playing dota or my druid alt :-P we actually have in-guild dota games pretty frequently after raids.
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Metostopholes
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Kawaii desu ne!
Location: Not dead but dreaming in the cyclopean ruins of cyclopean R'lyeh

Postby Metostopholes » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:23 pm

Elendil wrote:Blizzard has always been really good about putting out nothing but great games

Am I the only person that's ever played Death and Return of Superman? ... because I'm apparently the only person that remembers it.

Daltos
Captain
Captain

Postby Daltos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 pm

Heh all I ever do outside of other games is dota. Its the one game Im really good at.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby elendril » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 pm

interview part 2 and first card preview are up!
Elendril

60 Hunter Ner'zhul

ShadowDrgn
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby ShadowDrgn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:02 am

Guild plug, sweet!
Ras, Human Priest of Ner'zhul, retired

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:38 am

Well I have to say, I like the first card weI've been shown.

Very clean presentation, very good art, very nice color composition.

The amount of variables (class, race, professions, health, ability, faction) makes it look like there is a lot of cutomization to do in deck building, which is great.

Ill be very interested to take a look at the website tomorrow for the next card preview.

Return to “Trading Card Games”