This crap is expensive

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

This crap is expensive

Postby Sord » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:48 am

I was bored at work and decided to take a gander at my old hobby on eBay. Little background first.

Every 2 weeks I'd get $20 allowance and I'd go down to Hobbytown and buy a couple packs of Revised edition and blow the rest on the arcade. I started right as Fallen Empires was released and quit after the set with all the slivers. I took the game up again when Urza's saga and Urza's legacy was released and made some pretty forkin bad arse decks. I still got them, my best decks in the plastic sleeve things that you can shuffle and everything. Now they sit in a small dresser collecting whatever dust finds its way inside.

On to eBay.

Something is weird. You can buy all the old uber rare and awesome cards for like $0.99, you know, the moxes, black lotus, all those fun things from alpha and beta. I'm thinking wtf, I used to go down to the local card dealer place and regularly see those going for over 100 bucks easily.

My favorite sets were The Dark and Legends. Booster packs for The Dark ran around $8 to buy at the store if they had them and currently they are listed for that much on Ebay. Not much changed there. Legends is alot more expensive holy sheet. Revised edition? Forget about it. Arabian Nights? Jebus.

What I'm not getting is the Urza's saga. I paid a little over $2 a pack when they were brand new, about standard for new release stuff. Now they are going for almost $13??! Is someone's head up their ass or are these cards really that great to be worth $13 a booster pack? Hell maybe I just misread and that's the price for a starter deck but I don't think so. So why the heck can I get a beta black lotus for 99 cents but a newer set costs 13 bucks? :P I'm glad I got them all while they were cheap. I have alot of the good ones :)

I miss the game but I'm glad I stopped collecting. I can't keep up with this shit anymore.
Last edited by Sord on Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bye space sword!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 pm

I have binders and binders full of cards in an attempt to complete a few sets. It got expensive. I still don't have one complete set. Maybe the cards you saw for .99 were reprints or something.
ImageImage

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:50 pm

Haha well I see one now for $2 and the same card "rare and mint" for $5,000. Not a reprint, just varying degrees of condition. Collecting stuff is expensive. I don't keep my cards in binders. I keep them in long card boxes. I must have 4 or 5 of them laying around, I want to bust them out and play again but I don't know anyone local who plays anymore.
Bye space sword!

Atomic
Captain
Captain

Postby Atomic » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:48 am

The reason they're $13 is because they aren't in print. Wizards prints a set once, packages it, sells it to the stores, and it's done, pretty much. So since Urza's Saga is old-ish, there's fewer and fewer unopened boosters, thus they're more expensive to get ahold of.

But even new boosters has gone up. Here they're $3.50 for the last about 7 or 8 sets or so...starts going up after that, though.

Also, if you're seeing alpha/beta cards for $.99, and they're in decent condition, man, grab that shit, find a collector, and sell it again for 2309483% profit!
"When the fuck did we get ice cream?"

Sidonia
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Donner of the Robe and Hat
Location: A world of my own... but it's ok, they know me here

Postby Sidonia » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:32 am

No kidding.. anything that's alpha or beta that's in a great condition shouldn't be that cheap.. I sincerely doubt that what they were.. unless it was some peeved off ex of someone who played magic and they kept their cards or something..

Not knowing your experience with Magic and if you play in tournaments or anything, some cards are still good to use in certain formats where you can use more or less any magic card that hasn't been banned from sanctioned events, and there are a ton of great combinations of old cards with new cards.

I played a couple of years ago I guess.. when Scourge was still good, up until the end of the Kamigawa cycle.. I haven't baught a single 9th edition card or anything from the new set that came out..

As for finding locals to play with.. depending on where you live, a hobby shop may hold Friday Night Magic (aka. FNM) events every friday.. but if that's the case, they'll only allow certain cards from the "active" sets in your deck to play with.. but you might find people there who'll play with you for fun outside of the FNM tournament.. and maybe the guy holds other tournaments you could use your older cards in

Where I live, there's a guy who does whole bunch of different types of tournaments with Magic.. You do have to pay a little money to play, usually like $4, and regardless of how you finish, at least up here, everyone at least got a booster of their choice, which as Atomic mentioned, is around $3.50. So you're basically paying for a pack and hopefully a couple hours of fun. There were usually 3 random prizes that the owner would give out..

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Sord » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:49 am

I played pretty often up until Urza's Legacy and then everyone moved away and my cards collected dust. We had one guy in our group that went to all the tournaments and was pretty good but he was super anal about the game. He would try to pass off tournament rules as our normal rules for when we were just sitting around and having fun but we blew that off and played our own way. It was always satisfying to beat his tournament winning decks. :)
Bye space sword!

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:13 am

My friends and I were playing up until just a few months ago. We played multiplayer 100 card highlander rules (There can be only one!) to keep the game from getting old. Then this one guy starts going on ebay and buying all the super power rare cards from the new sets. It got to the point where he was playing almost exclusivly new rare cards because the new cards just womp on the old ones. We don't play anymore cause it's no fun always having your old cards lose to new ones.

And if you see any rare alpha/betas for less than a bazillion dollars on ebay, I'd be wary of a scam... although it would be nice to have some high quality forgeries to play with.
This space for rent.

Return to “Trading Card Games”