MTG:Online question

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

MTG:Online question

Postby Marcallo » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:22 am

I know some of you play MTG:Online, and I know the game is rather Fux0red at the moment, but I was considering giving this a shot. Is it worth playing?

How much of an initial investment in cards is required if I were to setup an account and start playing. I used to play Type I live YEARS ago but haven't tapped a card in years. And since there's NO WAY I can play in the hobby shops cause I find it uncomfortable now I thought this might be a good work around.

So give me some thoughts and tell me if it's worth it or not. Thanks :)
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Pink
Buccaneer
Buccaneer
Custom Rank: Juke-Joint Jezebel

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:04 am

Eheheehahhaa... I "tap" my youre gey card.

You are hit for 5 dmg

*swoon*

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:18 am

*looks at Zero grumpily* I play MOTG Online!! I havent in a month or so but its fun and i dont have to go into a card shop to do it. Basically marcallo the client is free and the initial cost is sort of cheap compared to RL. I believe the cards can go like 5 bucks or 10 bucks depending on the kind of pack you get and booster packs are like 2 or 3 bucks..I dont know the exact price. but its cheap. And trading rooms are open so you can go in and trade to your heart's content. I wonder if my deck is still there? hmm it should be..now i just need to DL the client again.

The players are all friendly for the most part and will gladly help you out. I will warn you though it gets addictive. Check this out, when you "open" a new pack it even makes the crinkluy paper noise you hear in RL ..so sweeeeet!!!!

God, im the worlds largest geek!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!

Pink
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:23 am

Hey Id be a geek for you ! <3

as long as i get the Twink Card of Impenetrable damage /with breast enlargement bonuses for each successful hit

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:31 am

rofl!!!! only you could make MTGO sound so sexual!!!

btw of course you can have that!

Pink
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:53 am

Severna wrote:rofl!!!! only you could make MTGO sound so sexual!!!

btw of course you can have that!

Hurrah!

Ive never played any card games, tho i tried to collect Pokémon cards when i was younger, just for fun.. when i was bored...

Back when i loved pikachu...so cute..

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:55 am

I was big into Magic and lately im getting into Yu gi Oh. The game itself is pretty complex and forces you to think ahead sometimes and set traps. I cant wait til i get the online version and do it up proper!!!

Munki
Custom Rank: Alouette, gentille Alouette

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:39 am

Ah Mtg...

I used to play A LOT way back when... I was unlucky enough to get started on it when it was in the Beta/Unlimited phase. I played for many years but pretty much got sick of it eventually. I sold all my cards and moved on (and man do I wish I still had my cards... they are probably worth 3-4x the amount I sold them for now).

When MTGO came out, I tried it and had fun with it for awhile, but once again got frustrated/bored with it. I guess in the end I am not a fan of the fact that online you pretty much seemed to encounter a set amount of decks that were all the same in concept... and many revolved around 'money' cards. Basically unless you were willing to put some decent money into the game you weren't gonna win pickups games often. It was fun when just playing with friends, but when they started to make decks and spending more money than I wanted to, the game quickly got boring/frustrating for me. Losing all the time ain't fun ^^
Space for Rent

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:43 am

Im beginning to notice a trend with you and your "gaming" mister munki...always quitting when it gets too rough. why is it I managed to win most of the time with only meager cards? It isnt about the cards you have, its about how you play them!!!

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:49 am

Feh hush you :P

Naw I just really lost interest in magic. I was tired of the community of the game when I was first in it... I spent a lot of time in comic shops (ask feather) and I just started to realize I didn't like a good amount of the people I played with.

The reason I got tired of it so quickly the second time around is that I really wasn't that interested in it to begin with this time, it was mostly to play with friends. I had fun when we were just playing with random decks made from our Starter + 2 boosters, but once they started making more and more powerful decks, I started to get bored.

My one major gripe with Magic (but it's great buisness sense for WotC) is that with each new expansion they release more and more powerful cards. This is done because in order to stay competitive with the people buying the new cards, you are expected to do so yourself. Now I'm not saying you HAVE to get the new sets to win, but they ARE powerful cards. My friends have been showing me cards from this new Darksteel and Myrridan sets, and DAMN they are 10 times better than any card I had ever played with :)

I think Magic is easily one of the best CCG's out there, but it just isn't my thing anymore.

If you ever get the chance, try and get some of your friends to play Shadowfist with you (you can get boxes of boosters for not too much money)... that was probably my favorite CCG of all time. It was fast, fun, and built for games with 6 people. You can play with less easily, it's just that the game is made to be able to easily accomadate 6 people. ^^
Space for Rent

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:50 am

online you pretty much seemed to encounter a set amount of decks that were all the same in concept...

I noticed this too but I'm sure the decks change up as new card sets are roatated in. My big problem was cost. I've already invested a lot in real cards and I don't want to have to finance my collection all over again.

Good for a quick fix, I have two inexpensive decks that I can use to play a game, even if it's 4 in the morning.
This space for rent.

Ved
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: I sleep in a drawer

Postby Ved » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:53 am

I'd never be able to get around the fact that I'm paying for cards that aren't even real. I mean if I could actually hold the cards at least I could fool myself I wasn't throwing money down the toilet cause I had bits of paper with pretty pictures on them. Why can't I construct decks out of any of the cards ever made, for free?
Why are pirates pirates?
They just AAAARRRRRR!

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:53 am

That's pretty much the only way I would be interested in playing anymore :) Get a good deck or two, and play once in awhile.

BTW, I have a good number of friends here at work that play the game, if you ever want a pickup game, lemme know I'll get their usernames (Darkvenom plays it, Sev :))
Space for Rent

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:28 am

ved wrote:Why can't I construct decks out of any of the cards ever made, for free?

You can, with another program but you can't play with them online.

If they did it that way with MTGO you'd have the same uber decks over and over again because everyone would have access to the same cards and you'd have to pay a monthly fee to access the servers. There is no monthly fee to play MTGO right now and that's because virtual card purchases are what keep the servers and employee's paid for.

If you collect a full set of every card in a series you can choose to turn them in and they'll send you the real cards... but if you do that you'll no longer have them on the server to play with. They will delete your virtual cards and send you your real cards. But they won't do a transfer unless you complete a set.

I build three decks online and when they were done I haven't purchased another card since. I really only play one deck online and I have a pretty good run with it. It's mostly commons and a few uncommon. I think I have three rares in the whole deck. It's a flying white weenie deck.
ImageImage

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:37 am

Munki wrote:Naw I just really lost interest in magic. I was tired of the community of the game when I was first in it... I spent a lot of time in comic shops (ask feather) and I just started to realize I didn't like a good amount of the people I played with.

The reason I got tired of it so quickly the second time around is that I really wasn't that interested in it to begin with this time, it was mostly to play with friends.

I'll translate this for you.

Translated Munki wrote:I get my butt kicked in magic too much. I hate playing games where I can't be competitive. It's no fun loosing all the time. I was tired of the community because it consisted of people who totally kicked my ass... I spent a lot of time in comic shops (ask feather) and I just started to realize I didn't like a good amount of the people I played with (because I couldn't win... ever).

The reason I got tired of it so quickly the second time around is because I really didn't care to get the ritual ass whooping I used to receive... but I succumbed to peer pressure and tried it again, it was mostly to play with friends. I can't build a good deck to save my life. I put shitloads of Rares in my deck and spend shitloads of money and I STILL LOSE! Therefor I conclude that this game is teh suck and I won't play it anymore no matter how much Feather begs me too.

But I'll play you ANY music game (except DDR) and totally kick all your asses. No doubt.

/tosses the gauntlet at Munki's feet.

Dude munki... even sev can see you ditch games really fast. It's not just me now man!
ImageImage

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:50 am

Dude Feather. I played Magic back then for multiple years, and I won many many times. I competed in actual tournaments and got to the final rounds sometimes ><

So hush, it's not like I didn't play magic for a long time. If I recall, I pretty much got ALL our circle of friends to start playing with me. So hush.

I mean it when I say it for this last time. Yea I got my ass kicked a lot, and I just didn't have the desire to try again. I have done the whole "buying cards, buying rares, construct deck" thing before, and I got tired of it. Why on earth would I want to go through it again, if I don't wanna do it anymore? The people I was playing with online, this was their first time in Magic (for the most part)... they were buying cards like mad. At first we tried to keep a 'one person buys a booster only if everyone else does' but that started to fall to pieces. I think Magic is more fun when you are all on the same level in terms of buying cards. Even YOU have said you like playing with Highlander decks a lot. So there ><

I've played many CCG's it used to be my thing. Magic was probably my second favorite. But I moved on, it's just not what I do anymore. Just like I would have no interest in starting up something like Warhammer 40k again, or Squad Leader.

If I got back into Magic like I was before, I would spend a lot of money on it. I know I would. I have ZERO interest in goin through that rigamoral again ya know? Sheesh you all are poops ><
Space for Rent

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:05 pm

From what sev and I saw it was more like "when the going gets tough, the munki gets the hell out of it."

You were really into MTGO for a while. You were. We all bought cards. You lost and pouted. I wanted you to still play with me so I said ok let's make your perfect deck. You were always bitching that you couldn't make the deck you wanted because you didn't have access to the cards so I sat in trade rooms and made deals with people until I got every card on your list. And you came up with this grand idea of a deck that had $20 cards in it (cards as in more than one...) and we worked it and we spent loads of money, and you played... and got your ass kicked and gave up. After you left, I took the collection of cards you amassed, tweaked the deck, and raised the bar on its win/loss ratio. It wasn't a bad deck. It was just really freaking slow.

You made a deck that had uber potential but it was way to expensive to bring the cards out on the table, so while you were waiting to build your army the other player already had you half dead and had craploads of things in their hand to waylay you when you actually COULD cast something. I took out some of the more high casting cost uber monsters and stuck in cards to help get land out of the library and onto the table.

It helped speed the deck up. It caused it to win more often. The game is still fun, you just don't like building decks and that's a big part of the game. But it's ok. I wouldn't want to play a game that I wasn't any good at either. It really is no fun when you get out there and don't even have a chance.
ImageImage

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:54 pm

Tweaking a deck that doesn't work right is half the fun. But tweaking online decks is expensive and troublesome because it can be difficult to get even some of the commons you need. After I payed real money for virtual Counterspells I knew I wasn't going to be playing online too much longer. If I'm going to spend money on cards I'd rather dump it into real cards so I can play with real friends in real life. Online Magic is great but I just don't have access to the same amout of real cards I own and I didn't want to invest in reconstructing my decks in an online format.

I like to switch the cards around in my highlander decks now and then to freshen things up but I'm tired of the 4 of a kind 60 card format. The games almost always play out the same way in 60 card decks and the combos get old fast. With highlander decks you're playing a new game every time. Probably won't be building any new 4x60 decks in the near future.
This space for rent.

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:41 pm

i wont name names *coughmunkicough* but some people do give up too easily an let the smallest things rattle them. Ask Zero i TOTALLY suck at UT2K4 but i still let her wmp on me for like six games staight!!!!! Im so intrigued that ive been reading on boards all day to come up with a good strat to beat her >.< If I gave up on all my games I would have a library of good yet unbeaten games.

Deck building is definitely the secret to MTGO and I dont know but i found the online experience enjoyable. I suck at building decks and I lose 50% of the time but I still enjoy it because I see some of the most awesome combos EVAR. It just takes a little patience to get going. But munki, you arent like this with JUST magic..you seem to be like this with every game!!!! Derek is SO right when he says you never finish a game..for example...have you beaten FFX-2 YET? uh hmm uh hmmm ...waiting.......

You got it one week after I did and I already have seen both endings!!!! how about WC3?? huh huh huh? ^_^ Dont be mad...Im just picking on you....but seriously...finish a game!!!!!!

feather if you can read this please try to prevent munki from coming to my house and firebombing me out of rage and frustration. T_T

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:54 pm

For your information I'm STILL playing FFX2... I am at the end of Chapter 3 (playing it as we speak)... I just play it on my lunch breaks at work for the most part, so it is much slower for me. But I am still playing it ><

It's not to say I give up to easy... It's just old habits die hard. I used to have the sort of free time to play the games I bought to death and so forth. When I was a wee lad and still lived at home, I beat every single game (assuming it was good) that I owned... and I mean EVERY. I played magic with a frequency you would not believe.

Unfortunately, I still follow the game industry and I still try and purchase mutliple games that I want... the only thing that has really changed is my free time. I love a challenge in a game (I really do), but for me if the challenge is FRUSTRATING and not FUN, then is it worth surmounting? Not really, IMO. I spend a lot of game time with things that can't be 'beat' per se as well now... who is to say when I am done with that (I STILL play Soul Calibur II as a daily occurance, and I've been playing it almost daily since LAST summer... as long as I can find opponents).

I've been trying to cut back my game purchase habits drasticly, and I have tried to focus more on the games I do buy (I finished Metroid Zero so there :P)... I have the games I want to finish still sitting aside (currently it is FF:X2 and Disgea, both waiting for me to finish em)... yea sometimes I get started on a game that I don't really care to finish, because it doesn't hold my interest, or I don't feel it's worth it.

And I believe I suck at WCIII very bad, and I played that a lot this weekend, regardless of my 0-(However many games we played) record... and I still wanna play, it was fun. I'm even goin through the single player campaign now ><
Space for Rent

Pink
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:01 pm

Did you give up on RO yet munki?

Munki

Postby Munki » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:06 pm

I dunno yet ; ;

It started to get boring, I was just doing the same thing over and over again. There was no variety to the combat. I really want to try and get to Priest before I quit, but ... blech. I mean... the game's simplicity in the beginning was fun, but as I kept doing the same thing over and over again, I started to realize I would rather finish off some of the games I've been meaning to finish.

I know this sounds silly as all MMO's are kinda repetitive, but for some reason this one really lost it's luster really quick. I may give it one last hurrah, but as of right now WCIII/FFX2 is much more fun :)
Space for Rent

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:12 pm

Ro is boring coming from a man who has done barely any research at all on the game..you is teh suck!!! The force is weak in you padowan!! FEATHER!!! You are his Jedi gaming master, you must turn him fromt he dark side of the force and make him finish what he starts!!!!

Ah well, at least you MIGHT finish the human campaign in WC3...trust me the campaign is fun in WC3 and then, when you get to FT the campaign is oodles of fun because it deals witht he aftermath from WC3.
You should really look into getting metroid fusion and finishing that game on the GBA, then hook the two up and play Zero through with the blue and yellow Samus Aran space suit. Talk about coolness personified!

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:43 pm

munki wrote:sometimes I get started on a game that I don't really care to finish, because it doesn't hold my interest

That's the crux of the problem. Short attention span. That's something I'll not be able to change. I am still playing SWG. How many games has he dipped into since then?

Anyhow... he pulled this on me with Crystal Chronicles. He begged me to play the game with him, so here I am all sucked into it and now he whines when I ask him to play with me. I can't finish the game without him! So I never got to see the ending because I delved into a multi-player game with the king of the three second attention span. I'll just start it over and play with the moogle single player.

He's got just as much free time as he did five years ago. He could sit and play a game for hours he just doesn't do it. He just spends his time on other things. Listening to music with his IM chat window up talking to six people at once keeps him for hours then he looks at the clock and goes "oops! where did the time go?"

I didn't mean for this to come across as a munki bash thread but I was JUST bitching at him this morning about FF:CC. I told him I was NEVER going to play a multi player game with him ever again because he has no 'stictuitiveness' when it comes to games anymore. Maybe munki's attention span is a testament to the fact that most games seem to be really nothing more than eye candy with a half hearted storyline and some mediocre game play.

Maybe he's just outgrowing them and is desperately trying to keep a grip on it since it's such an important part of his life. All I know is that it drives me insane and he wonders why I don't like playing anything more involved than 'Uno' with him. He'll ditch me half way through it.

I love you munki man. Don't hate me!
ImageImage

Severna
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Severna » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:49 pm

DoH!!!!

Return to “Trading Card Games”