My first encounter with MTG

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Future Goblin

My first encounter with MTG

Postby Jase » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:35 am

I thought it might be interesting to write about my first experience with this game.

I had been going to a local comic shop in Fresno for a few months to pick up my weekly comics. It was ran by a couple of friends of mine, who had worked at the other major comic shop in town, who had left and opened up this store which they named Cutting Edge Comics. So I had been going in there on a weekly basis to feed my addiction and I kept noticing this display of boxes next to the register. The boxes were of a vaugley brown color and had the words Magic the Gathering across the front. I asked my friend Randy about the game and he saided something about it being a collectible card game that was a lot of fun to play. I decided to pick up a few packs and call my friend Ben to see if he would be interested in trying the game out.

I pulled into Ben's apt. complex and grabbed the bag of cards and headed inside to give this new game a try. We sat down and read the rule books and glanced through the cards, we thought that we understood things so we shuffled and played our first game. Man let me tell you we completely mangeld the rules, this was the revised edition mind you and the rule book still needed a bit of revising to make it clear. We had apparently missed the part about only playing one land a turn so each of us was throwing down like 3 on our first turn. I remember looking at Black Vise for the first time and thinking what a useless card there was simply no way that anybody was going to have more than four cards except on their first turn. Well Ben and I continued to play this game because despite the fact that we were playing it with little regard for the rules it was fun enough to capture our imagination. So we continued to buy packs and started construction our first decks. Yeah man those were the days throwing every cool looking or sounding card into a deck with 5 colors. Our decks were so big that they were easily into triple digits. I knew nothing about deck construction, mana curves, top decking, sideboarding, or anything even close to strategy. It suprises me that I have come so far in this game with such a dubious start. Anyway I am going to try and write a few articles or at the very least a few posts on this topic as I am really excited about the new possibilities.
-Jase out

:arch: Archangel lvl 143

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:57 am

I started playing much the same way. Not only did we play as many land as we wanted a turn, but for a while we always drew back up to seven cards and did not limit the amount of a single card in the deck. Drudge skeletons with 6 Unholy Strengths stacked on them can be a real pain.

Finally the other person I was playing with found some new peeps to play with and we got a better grasp on the rules.
This space for rent.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:03 pm

I started playing with people who already knew the rules and had buttloads of cards already. I went to the library with them after school one day and two of them whipped out their long boxes of cards and started playing. I was like hey! I want to play tooooo!

So they tried to explain. They said you need land to cast spells creatures and some other stuff too. So I grabbed a chunk of cards from the land section. A chunk of cards from the creature section and a bunch from the area labeled 'other'. I discarded a lot because I never drew a land. I didn't make the deck right. I just threw everything together. I was lucky that I only pulled black cards so eventually after shuffling enough I was able to cast things and learn a bit about how the game actually worked.

Then I learned about combat. I'll re-quote from the quote bot.

"I hit you for 2." - Munki
"But I only HAVE 2!" - LF
"Right. You're Dead." - Munki
ImageImage

Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Future Goblin

Postby Jase » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:09 pm

Yeah when I eventually found another player who was more experienced it was horrible beatings for a while. My decks were all horrible and I had no where near as many cards as my friend John did. I remember back in the day when I first saw him play Rock Hydra, I don't know why but I was so amazed at that card and then he played Shivan Dragon and beat me down for huge amounts of life.

Hmm all this nostalgia has me wondering what was your favorite Magic card when you first started playing?
-Jase out

:arch: Archangel lvl 143

Return to “Trading Card Games”