Mirrodin is THE SET

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Custom Rank: Future Goblin

Mirrodin is THE SET

Postby Jase » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:00 pm

Every once in a while I walk away from the game of Magic because of several silly reasons. It's been almost 2 years since my last serious deck building session. I haven't played in a tournament in almost the same length of time, and I have purged myself of all of my old card. So why I am back in the game. Well it all has to do with a little set called Mirrodin.

The last set that came along that had this effect on me was Mirage. I don't know why that set lit a fire under me but it did and it was the start of a long long stint in the local tournament scene. I grew tired of it after a while since the scene was little more than net decks made the day of the tourney with very little play testing. The scene grew stagnat and boring and I got tired of showing up with original decks only to get beat down by the latest thing. So when the tourney times got changed and I started working at a new job I drifted away from the scene. I would pick up cards from each new set that was released and get a feel for the new mechanics but nothing ever moved me to really start playing again, until I picked up some packs of Mirrodin the other day.

This set has some of the best artwork that I have seen in a long time. The new mechanics as well as the inclusion of a tons of artifacts including some of my favorites from past sets has lit that fire up under me again. I now spend hours perusing message boards, putting decks together, and searching for local play groups/tourneys. Yes I feel the Mirrodin is one of my favorite sets of all time and I will be back with a more in depth review once I obtain some more cards and can get a better feel for the whole set.
-Jase out

:arch: Archangel lvl 143

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:53 pm

Same here Jase! I've picked up a few boosters and tourny packs and have been VERY happy with a few of the rare pulls I got. And Icey Manipulator is back! You should be glad to know that the next set, to be released in a few weeks, will be an extension of the Mirrodin block.
This space for rent.

Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Jase » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:51 pm

Yes I was extremely excited to hear about the next set as well. I just browsed the spoiler today and it has some extremely interesting cards in the set. I can't wait to pick up some more packs and start building some more competitive decks. I haven't pulled and Icy yet but I did manage to pull a Mindslaver and and a Scythe of the Wretched both of which I was very excited to see. I just need to find a place to play at down here and then I can get back into the swing of things.
-Jase out

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:19 pm

You know I REALLY used to enjoy playing magic, but I have several problems with the game. In the hobby shops near me, it seems to be 12 year olds playing against 40 year olds. I have some serious problems with this, especially when they are playing ANti Games....And as if anyone can't guess this about me, I LOVE to play for Anti. But when I see a 40 year old and a 12 year old fighting I get annoyed.

Oh well, at least I still have D&D and we're all adults.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Jase » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:19 am

Yeah I guess thats a potential problem. I haven't played for ante in so long I forgot what it feels like. If you want to play with adults you can always try some of the PTQs and more advanced tourneys. I am trying to find a group of people to play with in LA who want to play at a more advanced level. I hope to even try and enter one of the DCI sanctioned team events. Hopefully I will be able to find people who want to play at that level. I feel for your plight though Marc its hard to enjoy something when you don't have a good environment to play in.
-Jase out

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin
Custom Rank: Your Admin
Games: World of Warcraft
Guild: Broken Circle

Postby Lightfeather » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:26 am

I haven't played with strangers since highschool really. Just friends and firends of friends. It's always better that way anyhow.
ImageImage

Jase
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Postby Jase » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:44 am

I played with the same group of guys for several years and had a great time doing so. However when I went to my first real tourney I got reamed by guys who were much more prepared than I was. I still love the idea of playing with friends as a social gathering, however I really find it exciting to sit down across from someone who you do not know and see how he plays the game. You learn so much about deck techs and play styles and people from even simple tourneys. I saw my deck building ability sky rocket after only a few weeks of playing in the local tourneys in Fresno. If you have never tried playing in a tourney I can't recommend it enough. The first couple are usually scary and you will probably do horribly but don't leave stay and watch others play and learn. My enjoyment of the game grew so much when I started doing well in the local tourneys and I will never forget how it felt to place first out of 40 players.
-Jase out

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Your Pimp and Mine

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:34 am

I agree with you Jase, about the Mirrodin set that is. The art is VERY cool and the new mechanics ad some needed freshness to the game.

The reason i have always steered clear of touney play is exactly how you said it in your original post. I would be so annoyed with everyone bringing thier generic 'of the internet' money decks to play agaisnt eachother. Judging by the deck lists of the most recent winners, that phenomenon is still the same (8 out of the top 12 wining decks were goblin charbelcher decks grabbed off the internet in the last DCI tourney) Unoriginal bullshit decks is what stopped me from playing magic online and it would stop me from playing in tourneys as well. But one of these days i suppose i should at least give it a try. The mirrodin block has been my favorite block since odyssey. I like it! darksteel is pretty good stuff too. I have some really crazy AND effectove decks thanks to this block.
"All men are created equal, then a few become firemen."

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:40 am

:bow: Skullclamps.... *drool*

:kcheerful:
ImageImage

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:55 am

further, i just dont have the 'killer insticnt' that is necessary for tourney play. I'd rather play a fun deck that a deck that wins all the time. In fact, i had a deck made that gave me a 1 turn win (usually on turn 5 or 6) every time i played it. I played it for a couple days, realized i wasnt having fun and took it apart. The game is about fun to me and 1 turn wins arent fun. In that sense my deck design ideas are a liability as far as tourney play... sure i could build a tourney deck, but i dont know if i am willing to spend the extra cash.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:20 pm

I wouldn't mind trying to tweak my bird deck into a tournament legal deck. I wonder if you can have four dual lands in a tourney deck. That would be my most expensive card to acquire. I have four and only one of them is a real card. I'd have to find and buy three other Tundras. Then my deck would be solid. No proxies.

I'd love to see how far it would take me in a tourney. I played it in an online tourney and I made it almost to the end. It was one other guy and me but he had a straight red burn deck. I lost.
ImageImage

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:51 pm

your deck, as it is now, would only be playable in a type II tourney. However, i dont think that deck would do well in a type 2 tourney since they revolve around money cards.

BUT

since they are proxies, you could remove the dual lands and put in "coastal towers".. they are white blue dual lands that come into play tapped. they are great, the art is beatiful; i have them in 3 of my decks. That would make your deck 'extended' tournement legal and remove the proxies.. which is always a good thing. I think that your deck would fair well in extended with 4 coastals in place of the duals and some extra tweaking. Just remember, anything below 6th edition is not legal in extended tourney play... unless it was reprinted in a later set of course.

they other thing you may need to do is find a way to protect your aeries if you were to play it in a tourney. Counters of course. enchants are just so damn sensitive and your deck relies on them.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:20 pm

That's true about the enchantments... but I'd only need to get three dual lands. (or coastal towers...) One of my tundras is real =) w00t!
ImageImage

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:38 pm

yeah totally, but in order to make it extended legal, you'd need to dump the tundra since it is before 6th edition.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:43 pm

RAWR POOP!

Omg guess what. Those skullclamps are going for 3 bucks a card. I asked sam if he had any and he said he's hording them. They're awesome. I just bought a set of four off ebay for 14 bucks (including shipping). I'll have to pay you for the two you gave to me. I almost want to buy another set of four and just hold onto them and see how much they go up in price =)

Although... knowing me they'd end up filed away in a binder somewhere and I'd never end up selling them. :worry:
ImageImage

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:56 pm

heheheh they are nasty... i neglected to look at the price for the card... i was like bah... it's just an uncommon.. but sometimes that happens with cards.. there is an uncommon in the mirrodin set called Isochron scepter. it is the kind of card that should have never been printed much less an uncommon. naturally, those go for very high prices as well on ebay.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:01 pm

I can send two back with Munki if you want them back =) It should only take a few days to get them.
ImageImage

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:06 pm

naw they were a gift... if you dont want them then fine, but if you want them thats fine.. i didnt pay that much for them so im not worried about the price or anything.

Lightfeather
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lightfeather » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:10 pm

Yesterday I got both clamps out and put them both on one bird... sacked the bird with the land and got four cards for the clamps (2 each) and one for sacking with the land. I filled my hand back up by killing one creature. That ruled.

I think skuppy was expressing some interest in playing with clamps too so if you don't need them back I'll probably pass them to him since I have four coming to me. Sharing the love =)
ImageImage

skuppy
The Magic Man
The Magic Man
Games: WoW, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3

Postby skuppy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:03 pm

Re: Isochron Scepter

I pulled one out of one of my first Mirrodin packs. My first thought was WTF were they thinking. It's not that big of a deal in Mirrodin block where the instants are less powerful but it becomes killer when combined with some older cards. I like to put Eye for an Eye on it or Terror. My friend likes to use his with Counterspell but I thought that was taking it a bit to far. If only I had a Vampiric Tutor...

Those Skullclamps have some amazing draw power. With a few creature counter producers a player could easily draw 3 cards a turn for 1 mana, every single turn. Nuts.
This space for rent.

Upindis
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby Upindis » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:04 pm

One side of me thinks that the skullclamp is just plain unsportsman. So i dont really play them. They really do go into the "i cant beleive they printed that" category in my opinion. i mean WTF... 1 card woulda been nasty... but 2??? I guess that's why many experts rank it up with the most "broken" cards in magic history.

Return to “Trading Card Games”