wow TCG site live

Got a cool deck? Some nifty combos? Share em here!
Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Master of the Psychic Dragon Punch

Postby Phat.Stack » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 am

PopnFresh wrote:You can't use an ability of an ally that wasn't in your party at the start of the turn.

Correction, an ally can't use an ACTIVATED ability if they were just brought out.

PopnFresh wrote:In other words, the same thing would apply if he had Darkheart out for a full turn and then attacked with her. He decided her action that turn was to attack, he can't attack and then use her ability when that attack is over.

Not being able to use powers when a card is tapped is a Magic rule. Many cards became inert when they were tapped in Magic. This isnt the case in the WoW TCG.

Being tapped means you just can't use any powers that have the activation (tap) icon as a part of the payment for the power. Same thing with a hero card that's been flipped. Even if your hero is tapped, you can still use the flip power so long as it doesn't require you to tap as a part of the payment.

Now, to clarify, what you CAN'T do is those crazy interruption mechanics from Magic. So, you can't attack with Moira and "as she's dying" use her power. For example, lets say you tap Moira to attack a 4/3 ally. Combat resolves and Moira takes 4 damage and the other ally takes 3, killing both. In Magic, you could actually interrupt the damage Moira takes and sac her for her power. She would still deal her 3 damage and kill the 4/3 ally AND take out an armor card. I hated shit like that in Magic. Turns became very slow and complex and the learning curve was almost impossible to get over. Arguments inevitably break out over rules between people who get the rules and those who don't because, at its heart, its a little counter intuitive. Moria took damage, she should die. In the WoW TCG, you can't interrupt damage as it doesn't go on the chain. When damage is dealt, there is no window of priority, so no cards can be added to the chain in response to the damage.

The WoW TCG is much cleaner rule-wise than Magic. Rule books are very difficult to write for TCGs. Very limited pages to detail VERY complex rules to handle every situation. I don't think any TCG's in-box rule book could possibly cover every rule for the game. As such, I don't fault WoW's rule book for its limitations either. You just have to go online to get your questions answered.

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:51 am

Another question. I have Seva Shadowdancer. She's a 2/1 elusive tap her and pay x amount to heal x damage ally. Now Elusive is extremely vague, saying it can't be attacked, but my friend kept on picking her off with arcane shot.

I'd use chasing a-me, put seva back into my hand, and what not. But in the end I couldn't out A-Me his arcane shots. So does elusive protect against those types of attacks or is it that the only way to pick off an elusive is to protect against an attack from it or to Vanquish it?

Also, in a team game like a 2v2. If you eliminate one opponent does the turn order change from ABAB to a fairer ABA or does it stay AAB?

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:59 am

Daltos wrote:So does elusive protect against those types of attacks or is it that the only way to pick off an elusive is to protect against an attack from it or to Vanquish it?

Elusive means you cannot be the target of an attack proposition. Abilities that target (like arcane shot) can still target an elusive character. Your opponent simply can't announce a combat between one of his heroes/allies and your elusive character.

That still makes elusive a very good ability since your opponent has to use a card like that to kill it.

With regards to your 2v2 question, that I don't know. I imagine you'd want to take a look at the WoW TCG main site, go to the forums and do a search for team game rules.

Sord
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: The Trev

Postby Sord » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:01 pm

So not only are hunters OP in the video game but also in tcg?! Nerf arcane shot wtfx!1
Bye space sword!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master
Custom Rank: Grand Wizard

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:16 pm

Phat.Stack I was under the impression that there is still a "Chain" that is like Magics stack. For example I have a creature in play. It has the ability to tap and sack a creature in order to cause damage to another creature.

A player proposes an attack at my sack creature. I tap it in response and sack it to cause damage to a different creature. Player A's creature still exhausts but there is no target to attack. Isn't that sort of how it works?

I mean sure it's not as complicated as Magics "Chain", but there is still an element of strategy to the Chain as there is in the Stack in Magic.

-=--=-000--00-----

I was actually teaching someone how to play Magic recently and explaining how the stack works has got to be one of the most difficult things there is. "Okay you can attack, however in response I cast this spell, you can then mana leak my spell, in response I can remand your mana leak, and in response to that you can recast your mana leak thus causing yoru creature to still attack unless I then flash cast a creature in response to the second casting of mana leak!!!!"
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

...and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Phat.Stack
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Phat.Stack » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:24 pm

Marcallo wrote:Phat.Stack I was under the impression that there is still a "Chain" that is like Magics stack.

Yes, WoW has the "Chain" (their term for it) which is just a simplified version of the "Stack" that Magic uses.

Its simpler not in terms of mechanics... but simpler because less things go on the Chain than go on the Stack.

For example (as Ive mentioned in the past), damage goes on the Stack in Magic, but it does not go on the Chain in WoW. Attack proposals go on the Stack in Magic, but not on the Chain in WoW.

Instead, what WoW has are "windows of priority" (which Magic also has) and in those you can play abilities on the chain. Combat in particular has many windows: after a proposal has been made announcing the attacker and the defender, after the attacker taps to initiate the attack and after the defender actually becomes the defender. After that (to give you an idea on how it differs from Magic), damage is dealt simultaneously and without using the Chain.

So yes, you can still sack creatures after your opponent taps to attack them or before they die to combat damage or in response to something like Arcane Shot (an instant that would kill them).

Magic, as you mentioned, definitely has the more complex (and I think more clunky and cumbersome) mechanic and as such, the learning curve is tremendously high. The worst part about Magic was all the arguments Id get into over rules. WoW is much easier to just sit down and play with a stranger in that regard.
Last edited by Phat.Stack on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Yeah if you play Magic among friends you NEED to have someone who is the "rules" person. And they make the decison during games. In a tournament style like I play it's easier because there's a judge around who you can ask.

Though last week I was in a tournament and I tried to play an ability on the stack in response to a sorcery speed ability. The judge ruled that I had priority. Unfortunately the judge was actually wrong and I should have been overruled as was discovered later when the judge came back to appologize after actually looking up the cards in question.

I may actually be applying for level 1 judge status for magic to make my buddies who run the local store lives easier. It's tough though because I'd need to go see a level 3 judge and they only give the test at Pro-Tour Qualifiers and other big events and those only occur on saturdays when I am generally engaged in work.
Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen it's true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

Daltos
Captain
Captain
Custom Rank: Phat.Stack Sucks The Peen

Postby Daltos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 pm

I may actually be applying for level 1 judge status for magic to make my buddies who run the local store lives easier. It's tough though because I'd need to go see a level 3 judge and they only give the test at Pro-Tour Qualifiers and other big events and those only occur on saturdays when I am generally engaged in work.

I tried to do that when I was a little Daltos. Its really fucking hard, I couldn't even convince the guy to test me.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:54 pm

It's a little easier when you have a store willing to sponsor it because they need a judge.

Wyzen
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Guild: Better Part of Valor

Postby Wyzen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:57 am

Well i have gave into pressure and started getting some cards. I have been so lucky. The first batch of cards I bought from wal mart I got the Landro Longshot card with the tabbard. This got me all excited and since i have bought about 1 box all together. I am dead set on getting all of them (the set) because I am just a geek like that and enjoy the art. Not many people around where I live to play with.

I had originally bought 2 Burning Crusade copies for myself and my wife. But found a CE of it so I bought that and my wife has really stopped playing. So the 2 extra copies i traded a guy at work for $50 and an Onyxia Lair Raid Deck. I was trying to explain the game to him a little bit and his son is just out for the mount. I opened up the treasure pack to go through and explain rarity etc. And there it was ..... a Saltwater Snapjaw with the little scratch off bar on it.

I was soooooo excited even though I think he was a little beside himself because they had been looking for one for his son. So now besiedes being hooked I got the turtle mount and card.

I have a bunch of duplicates that I would be willing to trade off to complete my set if any one is interested. I have been trying to get all my cards in order and should have a list shortly. Let me know if anyone is interested.

This was almost as cool as getting both bindings in one night for thunderfurry!! OK not really but was still awesome!

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:28 am

I'd be willing to trade for any Furies you have, I have a bunch of good stuff if you PM me with any hunter stuff you have for trade I can PM you with what I have of other classes.

elendril
Midshipman
Midshipman
Custom Rank: Don't Laugh. It works.

Postby elendril » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:25 pm

hey guyz wuts goin on in here lol
Elendril
60 Hunter Ner'zhul

Wyzen
Drunken Pirate
Drunken Pirate
Guild: Better Part of Valor

Postby Wyzen » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Hey Marcallo still working on a list for you. RL stuff been keeping me away from doing much at all. Hopefully will have soon to PM you.

Eggnog
Grog Swiller
Grog Swiller

Re: wow TCG site live

Postby Eggnog » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:32 pm

I saw some people playing this at the game store, looked pretty good so I grabbed the drums of war pack and some boosters. Anyone else still playing?
This space for rent.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:16 pm

No and everyone I know who did has stopped. The store I go to keeps a few boosters around and runs a tournament every two weeks that gets 8 guys at most.

Windigo
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: /lick

Postby Windigo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am

I play in local tournaments and realm qualifiers and the realm championships. I'm planning on doing a few of the Darkmoon Faire events this year and see about going on to the continental championships. I've had a good amount of fun playing in block constructed events (cards from only March of the Legion, Servants of the Betrayer, Hunt for Illidan, Darkmoon Faire, Black Temple, Magtheridon's Lair, and some crafted cards) since it limits the craziness and the amount of things your deck has to be prepared to face.

9 times out of 10 I play solo warrior decks, as it neuters a lot of the best cards that people play right now (drums of war changes this a bit), and most people don't pack enough equipment hate to really get around a stable board full of mostly untargettable armor with fatty weapons.

Marcallo
Brew Master
Brew Master

Postby Marcallo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Win check out the new Miniatures game I posted about. Not as complex as the card game but it's fairly neat none the less. The card game is just getting no attention in my area or I'd probably play it once ina w hile, it's a ton of fun.

Windigo
Master Gunner
Master Gunner
Custom Rank: /lick

Postby Windigo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:09 pm

It's hard not to check it out. It's played at every realm qualifier on the side, as well as any other TCG event put out. Looks really fun, though I'm not investing in it at this point.

Return to “Trading Card Games”